1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia considers porting PhysX to OpenCL

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 Mar 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

NV has a strong arm with ~65% of the market, but that's still virtually half of the market for something that takes a full development process. For things like physics, it makes so much more sense for developers to work on something that 100% of the market can use. Otherwise, we would see games "ATI compatible" or "NVDIA compatible", just like we see "MACOS compatible". And we all know how developers love porting over to mac in a timely fashion... :x

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Obviously a step in the right direction.

4. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

The whole QA argument seems dumb, either its transparent to the game and it works or they have to bodge it per game and its dirty and underhand (hi 3dmark).

5. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I think developers will use havok in opencl since that runs similar effects on both cards instead of only 65% of the market. When that happens nvidias hand will be forced

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

Mentai: the point is that if Nvidia moves PhysX to OpenCL, it'll run on any hardware supporting OpenCL.

7. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

sound like nvidia still pretty confident on their superiority, but like to have work on the same playing field with AIT... which could either mean they're lying or they're cocky.

but it's a step in the right direction indeed.

8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

oh yeah forgot about 3dmark physx cheats XD course don't bother bring that up to a fanboy.. he'll whine till the cows come home

9. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

It was inevitable really, love the barbed comment about ATI's hardware, "GPU computing solution is probably a couple of generations behind ours.” It sounds like a huge gap, yet in the graphics card world, two generations is probably less a year!

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

there must be some trickery in this, making ATI cards go slower than nVidia counter parts for example.

or why did nVidia acquire PhysX in the first place? what profit have they gained?

11. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

I can understand the QA argument, in that the physx stuff will have to be verified that it works on both nvidia and ati hardware, to ensure that there isn't something different with the ati implementation of openCL

12. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

If they don't QA on other hardware and things don't run on ATI cards, it's the same as keeping it under CUDA and not spending a dime.

13. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

lol they are considering it more like have no choice unless they want to put all that wasted money down the drain

14. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

They can't keep it proprietary for too long.
    A LOT of peope don't run Nvidia cards, and devs are not going to program just for Nvidia.
    They do some 'extras' specifically for Nvidia, but they paid for it.

ATI and Intel will do havok over OpenCL, and Nvidia will be left with Cuda and PhysX.

If they do write code for ATi, it will be abysmally optimised, and ATi probably knows that.
    Nvidia isn't exactly trustworthy when it comes to drivers and 'optimizations'.....

15. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

I think they are trustworthy. They have great relationships with other companies. For instance, Intel. :naughty:

16. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

i dunno, with havok being OpenCL, and i assume running equally well on ATi and Nvidia stuff, they would have to do a decent job of having physx run on both
    if you're a game developer and you're looking for a physics engine are you gonna pick the one that only runs properly on half the graphics cards out there or the one that runs well on both? :p

also it cant possibly be a coincidence that they reveal this so soon after the havok/opencl announcement ;)

17. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

lol

18. aron311

aron311 What's a Dremel?

Well, Nvidia certainly has its head up its arse.

19. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

I think that I'll survive with my "couple of generations behind" ATI Radeon HD 4870x2, lol

20. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I think this is something that could benefit everyone, if PhysX will work on every new GPU being made they'll be more likely for developers to buy into it.

Tags: Add Tags