1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 11 Dec 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner New Member

It looks very nice. But it's bound to be more than the £220 rrp if stock shortages continue. I think I will probably go for the 8800gt when I build in January

3. Nictron

Nictron Member

Yeah the GTX is still King! OC it a bit and it kicks ass.

I have had my GTX now for 13 months, looks like it will stay king of the hill until March 2008!

Nice card though and good review.

Will the next generation GTX be G92 as well or do you guys think it will be a whole new architecture? I would be rather disappointed if its just a G92 model rather that a new architecture, but I suppose without propper competition we will see a similar card too the 7800 to 7900 transgression, slight improvements instead of a whole new architecture.

Only time will tell

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

5. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Nice review as always Tim, thats some impressive speed when compared to a GTX, which is over a year old.

Impressive card, lets hope nvidia can make enough, and retailers sell it at reasonable prices.

Sam

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

7. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 New Member

~440$? Wow. I don't see enough net gain in performance over the GT to warrant forking an extra 200$ for it =\

8. Nictron

Nictron Member

If you have a GT there is no point in upgrading, agreed.

9. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I find it amazing that (disregarding the Ultra, which is essentially just an OCed GX) the GTX has been king for over a year now. While the new GTS and GT are fantastically tempting cards, it is testament to NVidia's engineering prowess that ATi hasn't been able to produce a GTX-beater in all that time. Had ATi pulled out something amazing with the 29xx series, I reckon NV would have been forced to accelerate things to bring a still faster card to market. As it is, they have the top end sewn up and can take their time perfecting these awesome upper-mid-range parts to consolidate their position. Outstanding work NV, and a great review Tim - detailed as ever!

10. mutznutz

mutznutz Cos Ive got a beard u label me evil

Thought this card coming out may convince me to change to the dark side

Its good but I think I'll wait for a bit more see some high end cards from both sides Q1and2 2008 me thinks

11. Major

Major Guest

I reckon overclocking the new GTS would bring some decent results! Would kill the GT with the new cooling.

But the GTX looks good on some games.

@ Bit-Tech - What do you think I should purchase? GTS or GTX? I have a 22" monitor.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Dec 2007
  12. oasked

oasked Stuck in the Mud

GTS. Why spend the extra on a card that's just as good/better (up to 1920x1200 or above)?

13. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

14. oasked

oasked Stuck in the Mud

I wouldn't be suprised, for the GTS thats a reasonable overclock (I've seen 750 with stock cooling on the internet somewhere).

Do you think its possible to enable the disabled stream processors on the 8800GT (via a BIOS flash or such)? After all the 8800GT and 8800GTS both have the same core and the same PCB, linky.

15. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

I don't see the point in getting this card. It's a rip off. You're paying ~$150 more than an 8800GT for only a 5-10 fps gain. My 8800GT was $240. Now compare that to $370 for the GTS. It may be a great card, but not for that price. Maybe if it was around $300, then it would be worth it.

I find it funny that the article says it's in a sweet spot between the GTX and GT. Well that might be true if you compare the price for a GTX and a GTS, but compared to the price of a GT people are kind of getting raped on this.

Last edited: 11 Dec 2007
  16. Zut

Zut New Member

Brilliant! Best review of the lot. This one also seems to be more positive than the others, especially in Crysis!

I've just paid £240 for the XFX card from Scan! Hopefully it'll clock up a bit... a 700MHz core would be nice!

17. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Just bought two from scan :D

18. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

I'm partly impressed with the performance, yes it is faster in some games, yes it is more energy efficient then the GTX. But the GTX is almost a year old! The price of the GTX should have dropped aged ago with the introduction of new cards. But it did not because there is/was no compitition at all. The speed of new cards is not 40% better after a year like it used to be. All because the lack of compitition. Basicly it is going from bad to worse because it seems that nVidia is aiming for more consumer pocketmoney by overloading the market from botttom to the top with cards that are say 5% in the performace range of any other released nVidia card.

I do not even believe that the "new nVidia perfomance king" is going to be released to stores soon. I believe its more Q4 2008 until we see the next step in perfomance on the shelfs. Because there is simply no need for more speed at all. nVidia allready has the fastest range of cards on the market. Releasing a new card in the next couple of months makes no sense unless some compittion is going to actualy make a faster cards then the Ultra.

But there is more...

This is exactly where i was afraid of is in fact allready happening here. There are 2 mayor flaws in the SLI based system.
    1) The whole SLI "hype-thingy" is totaly useless, unless you buy 2 identical cards right now. And all the people that where thinking: "well... i buy a 8800GTS now and when I need more performance in the future I will buy the same card for 'el cheapo' in about 6 months. The problem is: This card is only going to be available secondhand over 6 momths because no retailer has this 8800GTSbrand X anymore on the shelfs.
    2) Once the time arrived to actualy upgrade to a second card to work in SLI. All the cards you see then are 2 times faster and have more upgraded stuff like DX10.X or 45nm designs, more memory, etc... etc... So buying a then 'old' card with a lesser featureset to keep up with the then current specs makes no sence at all.

19. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Most of these things are "hard locked" or laser-cut nowadays to prevent that, sadly. Gone are the days where a bios flash could fix you up to top-end speeds. I think the manufacturers realized what a horrible thing that did to their high-end parts sales, despite how much we as poorer enthusiasts appreciated it.

20. lamboman

lamboman New Member

I personally don't believe that the card is good value enough to be a better choice than the GT. But that is just me.

Tags: Add Tags