1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 to launch soon?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 29 Oct 2010.

1. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Yeah, you clearly can compare PC-games to real life... :wallbash:

2. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

Ridiculours size. I buy big cases but even standard sizes dont give much room to work round and are awkward.

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Let me fix his analogy, while also making it a bit more sarcastic:

We should all play checkers. It uses single bit colors (black and white is enough, red is a luxury!), only needs a single 8x8 texture for the background and only four sprites for pieces!

It's partly a matter of taste, and partly a matter of game design. Some games, such as the wildly popular Minecraft, look terrible on purpose and that ugliness doesn't suit some people's tastes. Looking beautiful was part of the developer's plan when making Arma 2, though it doesn't suit your tastes.

To the argument of a PS3's power draw being less, it's quite true that it's actually doing less as well. As mentioned earlier, view distances are a clever way of developers making a game still look decent on consoles while demanding far less. You look at a specific object for comparison and won't notice much of a difference, yet when you look at the bigger picture you notice how many fewer other objects there are on screen! Another thing is anti-aliasing. You'll notice your console games can't use it, so even when textures and polygons are of a similar quality as PC, the console polygons are jagged on the edges. Whether you prefer playing games on a console or PC is totally personal choice, but comparing the two graphically is not direct unless you drop your PC settings and hardware to match.

4. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

It would take something miraculous to make me change from my new 5870. This thing lets me crank every game I have, it runs very cool, and to my surprise, it's completely silent. Even when I'm playing Crysis the fan doesn't go over about 35% which is the exact same volume as when I manually turn the fan off.

5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

This makes the comparison so something like a Alienware M11x more prevelant. The gaming quality provided by both is similar (the M11x will actually be able to run at comparably higher settings and a higher resolution) yet the M11x only requires 1/4 the power.

6. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

7. chimeradog

chimeradog What's a Dremel?

Guys!!! See This!!!! I'm getting excited now!!!!!

8. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

I wanna see the finished thing.

9. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I hate leaks of this nature with the ridiculous comments of "but it won't beat the AMD dual GPU card!" which lets be honest, no one expects it to.

Come on Bit-Tech, give us some more meat on the bone!

10. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Yeah.... 250-300 Watt TDP :rolleyes:

My whole system (mainboard + E8400 + 460GTX + 2x HDD) doesn't use this much power :hehe:

11. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

65W+160W=225W TDP for just CPU and GPU, you're walking a fine line. My own CPU+GPU is 65W+188W=253W TDP, still less than the 300W max. Know what we both have in common? Neither of us has the same rendering power as the GTX 580. You desire low power, so you laugh at the power draw of higher end GPUs, yet those who need more power than a single GTX 460 similarly laugh at your underpowered system. Neither is objectively better, only suited to different needs.

Where you should laugh is situations of equal power with differing power consumption, or situations of equal power consumptions with differing power.

12. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

wow nov 9th really.. this should be fun to see- maybe wood screws was a bit hasty

13. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

Can't wait, get me four

14. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

This article at Kitguru says that it's expected to draw at least 35w more power than the 480, which is the opposite of what the Fuzilla article says. I guess we'll just have to wait from some official spec but either way, this definitely looks like it could be a good water-cooler's card.

15. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

Since I moved to Mountain Mods cases I couldn't care less about height, length and weight. Horizontal motherboards rocks. Bring GTX580 on!

Still I think for such cards manufacturers should break with height norm. Nobody will squeeze such mammoth into media center, low noise or SFF case. So why not add 2-3 cm up top and make shorter card. It is so simple. I've only seen this done once when MSI released R5870 Twin Frozr. It can be done, why nobody else is bothered?

All that talk about high power consumption is funny. Are you playing 24/7/365 or something like that? Usually most of us (in particular if you are not a kid) playing ~1-4h/day, many people even less.

Of course power drain is noticeable if you run at full tilt permanently, but for casual gamer it is not a big deal (and at idle, power drain/temps from gtx4xx is/are much lower than for example 8800 series). Problems appearing when:

- you have UPS and there is power outage. Such monster at full power will suck dry every battery very quickly - in particular if UPS is loaded over 50%.
    - Folding with quad-SLI. Now if you running such setup then most probably you also own nuclear reactor nearby. :D

16. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

+1 couldn't care less about power... except will my 850 run 2 of them?

17. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

seems the GTX580 runs quite a bit cooler then the GTX480.

Tags: Add Tags