1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 7 Nov 2013.

1. Assassin8or

Assassin8or Minimodder

Okay, yes, this memory controller flexibility has been in the last few generations of products from nVIDIA.

Okay, so yes they would likely go the 256MB module route if that's what they have done already.

I'd be interested in what would benefit from that double precision performance that doesn't also need the Quadro drivers.

2. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Am I the only one thats actually a bit shocked on the specs? I was expecting this to be a Titan-lite, not even or better (minus less ram which hurts the card).

3. rollo

rollo Modder

AMD seems to have more fans than buyers. If every AMD fan was a buyer they would be richer than Intel lol.

4. Assassin8or

Assassin8or Minimodder

I'm don't like to think of myself as a fan of either company. I'm a discerning buyer, which is probably why I bought 8800GTs at £60, followed by GTX 260s at £100-£130 and then went across to AMD for HD7850 2GB and now HD7970.

The Hawaii chips at launch were obviously a great deal better value than the equivalently priced nVIDIA cards at the time. nVIDIA have responded with their initial price cuts and now again with the GTX780 ti. Even so, the GTX780 ti still looks like nVIDIA following the same price gouging practices that made them look so bad in the first place when Hawaii was launched.

I think that a lot of people are looking at the fact that they dropped the GTX780 price by £100 and are thinking that nVIDIA could probably sell the cards much cheaper, e.g. closer to the R9 290X price but are simply price gouging again instead of pricing sensibly.

The reason for my shift over? Price performance ratio and that I moved to a triple display setup. I wanted to try gaming over three screens and didn't want to fork out the additional money for the nVIDIA card at the time (I later learned that I could have used some of my GTX260s in tri-SLI with surround mode :blush:).

5. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

Titan was a real rip-off it seems, why is bf4 so poor with this monster??

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Nothing new there, unfortunately.

What would you do? You're running a business (not a charity) and the only real competition is struggling. You release your premium part and charge a premium price, safe in the knowledge you have a huge margin to play with if the opposition ever turns up with the goods.

Intel are doing the same, but they are just churning out incremental improvements and the relative price keeps creeping up - they are cruising because AMD can't compete. I don't want AMD to make an arse of it, I've got my fingers crossed for competing GPUs and CPUs - but it's frustrating when they produce something like the 290/290x that seemingly has to run right on the ragged edge to compete at the top end - casting the already poor reference cooler in a worse light.

7. Assassin8or

Assassin8or Minimodder

It would depend on margins. Obviously the GK110 is a much larger chip and the GTX780 ti is stealing chips that would have gone into the Quadro lines.

However, I think that I would try to keep costs low and close to the competition. And if I thought the competition's prices were ridiculously high, I'd charge a good price (for margins), but still undercut the competition too. Why? Because loyal customers come back and purchase from you time and time again; even if the competition have slightly better products than you.

I've found that over the years AMD/ATI have done this consistently time and again producing products with a good price performance ratio, even if they have been behind (they're not perfect if you look at AMD's pricing of A64 processors whilst they were on top and ATi with the X1800 and X1900 cards). I've gone to nVIDIA when I've found that they had good price performance; but also because I was folding at the time.

(My graphics card history nVIDIA TNT2 > R8500 LE (x2 of these) > R9500 (modded to R9700 , I have three of these) > HD3850 256MB > 8800GT (I've had four of these for folding and SLI of which two died) > GTX260 216 (I had 5 of these for folding and tri-SLI) > HD7850 2GB (also got an HD4350 for a spare machine at some point, also HD6450 bought for my Linux gaming machine) > HD7970)

8. rollo

rollo Modder

Alot feel like AMD has let down the computer desktop market, With its CPUs no longer battling Intel and its GPUs pretty late to the party. They have also went back to the way Intel did with its pentium super hot running chips. The old ghz race before duel core came out.

AMD should have a die shrink for there next gpu launch if they dont nvidia will be free to charge even more crazy prices.

The next quater results are critical for AMD no profit would mean the end of it as we know it at least without investment. ( Maybe from Intel of all people )

9. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

did you really post that?

AMD have forced NV into a palce it cant go - on price/performance - the R290 is THE card of this generation.....nv cannot match it on price and to beat the R290X they have to produce a power sucking monster - it equals the R290X on power use....

AMD also saw the light on where desktops are going , APU`s are ahead of anything intel can offer - oooh so they don't have the benchmark numbers of Intel - but 90% of users don't care - they can surf facebook well enough and game well enough with the 6670 which is on die.

you say `die shrink` for next GPU - awesome.

where and how?? other than Intel NO ONE is producing 20nm or lower on bulk; TSMC hasn't even finished its FAB for it!

AMD are moving into ARM - ARM cpu with its APU? that's a winner for a passive gaming box the size of a pizza box.

AMD could even move out of desktop with 32 bit / 64 bit ; the first ARM chips will be in the next 6 months - would be fun for windows RT on desktop :D

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Just out of interest Harlequin, are you the same guy who posted the following on Tom's Hardware about possible inconsistencies in the 290 and 290X?

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Arm chips need 2 things performance and excellent power consumption. Even Intel has yet to make a chip that can do both well, AMDs power consumption has gone up over the years not down.

Windows RT + AMD only if somebody decides to test it again as most ran from the windows rt sector as they are not competitive price wise with Microsofts Surface. ( Main reason is MS charge for Windows RT )

Price / performance is irelivent if nobody buys there chips, Thats what most AMD fans are though none buyers on forums and tech pages, All want AMD doing well but no one is buying there product.

If every defender of AMD owned full AMD kit, AMD would have more cash than Intel. Facts are though most dont own AMD and have little to no buying intension of there product range.

If the console deal is 1 time only ( nobody knows the answer pre AMD next quater results, Nvidia was paid peanuts for there chips after the first batch, they were even loosing cash on the deal towards end of the consoles life due to having to keep a production run going for the gpu chips. ) then they are in huge trouble. Will likely take more Intel cash to prop up AMD ( they already give them 1billion dollars )

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ahem.

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Where I feel AMD have really ****ed up is by not allowing their partners to develop coolers from day one release.

I'm sure there's a reason for them not allowing it, but imagine the reviews if the heat had been kept in check.

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

My guess is they done it so they can beat the 780ti, its a bit like a game of poker.

15. Shirty

I hope so. If they can make the 290(x) more palatable then prices may well drop down a bit further in the coming months on both sides...

I am in the market for a new GPU in January, and red or green I'm going to pick up the best option at the time.

16. Assassin8or

Assassin8or Minimodder

Heheh, I like that it's a *nix box :clap:

Wait until midish next year? 20nm parts should be baking by then.

17. Shirty

I'll need something to appease the gaming gods in January once I stop working all the hours under the sun (and moon). But I might be tempted to pick up a cheaper second hand card and hold fire if there is some solid news by January.

18. Assassin8or

Assassin8or Minimodder

February might be your best time for news but you never know.

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The 290 could be a cracking buy, if they sort out some third party coolers without hurting the price too much. IMO the 780 price needs to drop some more.

20. Assassin8or

Assassin8or Minimodder

I'm really looking forward to seeing what LN2 and H2O can do for them; the 780ti and 290 series.

Not that I'm going to buy these cards, I nearly balked at buying my Asus DC2 Top HD7970 for £220, but I like reading about what they can do; and which is why I'm a CPC subscriber.

Tags: Add Tags