1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia reveals plans to make x86 CPU

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Mar 2009.

1. Goty

Goty Minimodder

CPU+GPU chips will be EXTREMELY low end for a long time after they're introduced. The die space reqirements for either are just too high to make even one of them truly high performance.

2. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

well CPUs are at 45nm and GPUs are about to hit 40nm so we are almost there to where there is enough space for a decent configuration but it probably wont be until both CPU and GPU are sub 40nm that they really start cranking out the high end stuff but I do see low and mid range in the near future. Also its not like they cant make the socket bigger to make room for it all.

3. Slyr7.62

Slyr7.62 «ŚŁÂŶÈŘ»

Good statements, yes.

I'll prefer my GPU and CPU seperated, for 1) I can get the highest bang for the buck(easier), and 2) For now it'll be easier to keep both components cool when they're separated, maybe.

4. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ya I think one approach that I normally disapproved of but in this case may work out better is Intels super glue approach for the C2D when they used two dies to make their quad cores, a similar idea would be to have one die be say a dual core cpu and the other given current sizes a single gpu, that potentially could offer great performance if its pulling from the same DDR3 banks but have their own traffic flow. I mean this could yield better performance then current setups (1 cpu, and graphics card), at least I hope. May be ideal for laptops in particular and reduce cooling and power requirements, again I hope lol.

5. Natima

Natima What's a Dremel?

Imagine if in the future we have entire PC's on single chips i.e. GPU, CPU, RAM, Chipset.
    Companies such as intel could offer a choice of 2 chipsets with a choice of 3 gpu's per chipset and 3 cpu's corresponging to each chipset.
    You could have the equivalent of X48 and P45. Call these P100 and X100.
    P100:
    - MID performance GPU/CPU
    - Netbook performance GPU/CPU
    - Crappy Office PC performance GPU/CPU
    X100:
    - Mid-range PC (budget minded people)
    - High-end PC (average gamer/user)
    - Ultra High-end PC (gaming/servers/music & graphics)

6. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Spell-check! Go for it.

7. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Pretty much yes, if you make an x86 you need a licence from Intel, I guess if nVidia didnt have one, and couldnt get one they would partner up with someone who has one, but I am not sure if Intel will like that and could potentially revoke the licence of that company

Kimbie

8. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

The only option nVidia would have for the x86 SoC space is partnership/merger with Via and at best all that would do is put them very firmly behind both Intel and AMD.

9. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

In concept, I don't like the idea of everything integrated on my CPU, at least for my main system. The big issue is that you can't just upgrade your graphics card but keep your CPU, like I have done. an what about all the people who may need powerful CPUs but no graphics card, like workstations servers etc. That is the major problem with these.

However, in the MID/netbook/nettop segments then great, lower power, maybe higher performance and its not like you are going to be upgrading anyway. (btw, I thought it was a mobile internet device, not a mobile intelligent device - wouldn't that have to be the person carrying it?)

10. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

Why is everyone talking about "I need to keep my CPU & GPU seperate".

The way things are going, PCs will one day have one (or more) Uber core processors, what they do will depend on what code they run on them. Pure number crunching, 3D rendering, Post processing, AI - Will all be done on the same architecture.

It's not that seperate GPUs won't exist, but I bet the mainstream won't need them, and when that happens the support will go.

My money is on the GPU (as we know it) has 5 years left tops

11. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

The thing is that normal number crunching and graphics processing need to be handled differently to get the most performance from them.

Graphics processing mostly consists of massively parallel, yet mostly quite simple, operations, while normal mathematical operations, as done by the CPU (or its FPU) are much more complex and usually do not involve parallelism of any high order.

At some point CPUs and GPGPUs *will* converge, which is why it was only a matter of time before nVidia would start making CPUs (despite doing a Nietzsche on them). It's also the main reason AMD bought ATi, although it pushed AMD to near bankruptcy.

I'm not really seeing a combined CPU/GPGPU for some time, though. I believe the GPGPU will migrate to the motherboard/chipset in some way, being connected to the CPU and memory via a high-speed transport (enter HT and CSI).

Last edited: 6 Mar 2009
  12. pullmyfoot

pullmyfoot superbacon

no Intel policy F T W. I buy AMD not so much because I am an AMD fan-boy but because I cant stand Intel. With that said I also take common sense into consideration. Ill buy AMD as long as they have something that can roughly match up to Intel.

I do hope NVIDIA teams up with VIA and makes some X86 CPUs though. That will be interesting. Then we will have 3 companies with complete system platforms going head to head. And I can imagine that it will pick up pretty fast if its competitive since there are so many NVIDIA fanboys out there.

Tags: Add Tags