1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia shows off Tegra netbook prototype

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Apr 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I'd be interested in a netbook [10" preferably] that would have more than the average 4-5 hours of battery life. But Windows CE? I'm not a huge fan... well, let's wait for the first implementations.

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Sounds good to me, I hate the path that netbooks are taking, they started below 9", but are all getting huge now.. I If some partner makes a 7" Tegra MID, it's going in my backpack ASAP.

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Just another reason to install a fully fledged Linux distro. Yay Nvidia!

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Indeed, Debian a huge number of architectures out the box including ARM. Seeing as Debian is the base for a few of the more popular distros (Ubuntu included) its fair to say that these machines could be used for any thing any other netbook could be. The biggest problem would be packages outside of the main repositories might not be available.

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

give it a touch screen at 9in, and ubuntu MID edition and i am sold.

i dont think windows belongs on a netbook.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That sounds awesome to me, I'd snap one of those up for £140 or so if it had such a massive battery life, and was capable of 1080p etc.

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Whaaaat? Since when has Microsoft had a suitable OS or netbooks anyway...

I'm fed up with the current netbooks, all of which share the same specs. Some change would be welcomed! Show me a 10" netbook that's performance- and battery life-wise a real upgrade from IBM X31 and I'll get it..

9. docodine

Works just fine on my original Eee PC 4g.

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

it still dont belong on a netbook, its like Vista on a mac instead of OSX.

11. Jonalethdm

Jonalethdm What's a Dremel?

If they can produce the entire system on a motherboard the size of a stick of ram, and still have it play back multiple HD (720p) sources similtaneously, surely they put that into a netbook 9" shell and fill all the space generated with extra batteries, gving the device a huge running time.

Yeah the big screen will draw quite a bit of power, so not quite mobile timescales, but enough to dwarf the wintel netbooks.

12. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

See that dosen't sound that mad now, 10 years ago you would have been laughed at all day.

what would be awesome is a netbook about the size of an A5 notebook, thin as a Mac Airbook, running a decent sized SSD and a decent bank of li-ion battieres. 20 cell or something.

Of course all aluminium and by this point i am starting to think this is what apple is going to end up releasing....

13. koola

koola Minimodder

Sooner than you'd think... I've just come back from Shenzhen, China after working with a company who are developing ARM architecture appliances for enterprise and consumer markets, and imo it's the future.

Highly impressed with the performance when compared with a general x86 processor.

14. bowman

bowman Minimodder

So you've got an ARM processor. Why aren't you running Linux or Android? WHY ON EARTH are you running _Windows CE_?!!? Noone, absolutely noone wants that. It's of no use. It belongs on PDAs from the 90's.

I would be interested in this if it had some good open source support for Linux, something Nvidia is not well known for (but Intel is).

15. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

lol PDA's from the 90s? you do know Windows Mobile is built on Windows CE? And is used in numerous smart phones today.
    Get out from your rock.

16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

It's ARM based, it has "Linux support".
    And Saivert is absolutely right: Win Mobile is the direct successor to CE.

17. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

It was a fair point, Windows mobile is hardly any different from when it was first released. It's had a few things tacked on over the years, but the base OS hasn't changed much in as long as i can remember.

I'm really looking forward to the day HTC decides to release an android phone on non-horrible hardware so i can dump windows mobile for good :lol:

18. docodine

But why?

It does more than the cell phone-like OS that came with the thing. Why doesn't XP belong on netbooks?

19. bowman

bowman Minimodder

A very fair point. Why Asus and Acer install these old, unsupported, trimmed and half-useless distributions when the netbooks can handle Ubuntu, Fedora and the like just fine.. Beats me.

20. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

two screens for the little bugger: a 'electronic paper' screen for day to day internetting without consuming much power, and a lcd or the like for viewing your HD certified pr0n...

Tags: Add Tags