1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVIDIA SLI VS. ATI CrossFire -- GO!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by G4m3R_X3r0, 3 Jun 2005.

?

NVIDIA SLI or ATI CrossFire

1. NVIDIA's SLI is KING!

10 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. ATI might be on to something - CrossFire Cheesecake!

47 vote(s)
    56.6%
  3. Undecided

4 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. I want to see how CrossFire performs in real games

22 vote(s)
    26.5%
  1. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

Need opinions and thoughts. I'm doing research right now on the SLI and look foward to getting the research on the Crossfire. My next rig all depends on the info in which is better, Crossfire looks promising, anyone else aggree???

2. TMM

TMM Modder

don't you think its kind of premature to ask such a question when Crossfire isn't even released yet?

Tbh SLI seems more logical, though neither really interest me. (because the reality is that i can't afford it! :p)

3. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

Yeah might be a little early to be asking the question but the theory behind it that are posted... like i said looks promising. :D I know how ya feel about not being able to afford it... at least right now... :D

4. robbybertu15

robbybertu15 <b>needs a job</b>

Why not just buy one card with two gpu's on it? Maybe get a card with 512mb? SLi seems a little bit silly.

5. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

The new ATI chipset looks a goodun. The early beta realease of the single card RD480 looks amazing. So many bios options its untrue. Great board layout, seems to have been designed with performance in mind.
    As for crossfire, this platform now holds the 05 WR, so its not slow by any means ;)
    Wait til it is released though, and compare then...

6. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

I'm liking what I see with Crossfire... Being an old, obscure games junkie (Airfix Dogfighter, anybody?), there's something about Crossfire's built-in compatability that's nice.

7. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

I'm normally an nVidia kind of guy but the fact that CrossFire supports every game regardless of drivers, against nVidia needing driver support, ATi's solution is a little more attractive. However I couldn't afford it in a million years though :p

8. Lost.Soul

Lost.Soul What's a Dremel?

Its no doubt that CrossFire will be the fastest graphic solution till Nvidia release their NV70

9. uwannabigmak

uwannabigmak What's a Dremel?

Definitely Crossfire. The early crossfire setups, with very preliminary drivers, are almost beating the best SLi setups (with solid drivers) in benchmarks known to favor nVidea.

10. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

I'm waiting for the benchmarks tbh....

11. Kasrkin Guard

Kasrkin Guard What's a Dremel?

And for real world performance from games and not the synthetic crap either. :worried: Although I never was into dual cards either for cost and power requirements... I prefer one high end card.

12. dead_man

dead_man Confucious say: WTF???

lets see some benchmarks first and see if what ati says bout compatibilty is true. either way i still wont get it as though there chipsets look promising, nvidia have been at it longer so i trust them more :)

13. Lost.Soul

Lost.Soul What's a Dremel?

14. mUrml

mUrml What's a Dremel?

Well haven't tried either, but ATI might be on to something especially with their Plug-And-Play system with Crossfire. Will make it a hell alot easier building a system (and faster).

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

Wise words :)

On paper it does look good. FYI, 3DMark05 has always performed better on ATI's cards.

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Let's not forget that that's an early release with crappy drivers - SLi has been around long enough to have some decent drivers going. We'll see. I think everyone's waiting for some proper results in real-world areas atm. It does look very promising for those with the moolah to back it up, but i'm worried that the whole system's going mad and we'll end up with cards that can't run individually - eliminating those of us who can only afford a single card at a time from the high-end graphics market.

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

Added another couple of options to the poll. :thumb:

18. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Going for a crossfire shouldn't be bad for cost. X800XL can be bought for $279.00, so 2 wouldn't be breaking the bank like dual 6800U.

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

But you wouldn't be comparing dual 6800 Ultra's to dual X800 XL's... Do you work in ATI's marketing branch?

20. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Yes.
    :worried:

lol j/k
    But dual x800xl would be a bigger vaule than the 6800s because it will work on ALL games and not just a handfull of benchmarks and overrated games that are also used as benchmarks. :)

/me doubts that SLI works for Need for speed 4, and Street legal redline, and Blockland. :)