1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage NVME RAID on threadripper?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 13 Jan 2020.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Is it easy? or a royal PITA?

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Easy as any other raid install but unless you want to boot from the raid disc there is not a lot of performance difference just using windows raid, although you do loose trim support.

3. Vault-Tec

Oh, didn't realise it didn't work with TRIM. Mind you, being it is for game installs that wouldn't really matter. I want 500gb of space for my Xbox cross platform games and that is about right. IIRC there are three and they're like 100-150gb each. I saw a guide on YT here.

Does that look right? I have to replace the drivers on the discs with the AMD ones etc?

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Using AMD raid works with TRIM, its just windows software RAID that doesn't, for some of mine I just use windows RAID as I build and upgrade array often, always going bigger 4x256 > 4x512 > 4x1Tb > 4x 2Tb waiting for 4x4Tb :D and I don't really like the AMD Software, drive is not up long enough for TRIM to be an issue :D

I'll check the vid later

All you need to do is make sure you have the latest BIOS and latest drivers including a disk to load RAID driver on install.

Armed with that you cango in BIOS enable RAID instead of ACHI and then the option to set up RAID disk in BIOS, with that done you can install windows and load drive on disk config page I I think there are 3 things you have to load, probably shown in vid and you are golden.

There is not a lot of benefit to NVMe RAID for a single user scenario unless like me you just like to have one big ass drive, single stand alone drives are fast enough.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2020
  5. Vault-Tec

Wicked thanks for that.