1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Oculus Rift headset heading to mobiles

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 30 Oct 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

When I first read about this I assumed it was a misquote from an Engadget interview with Carmack but it would appear not.I wonder what concessions they will make on the Headset and what the price difference will be between it and the "real" version.

Not that I really care, I'm just counting down the seconds until the higher res version comes out with fuller motion tracking. I don't care if its Dev kit 2.0 I will buy it in a heartbeat as the original rift blew my mind when I used it.

HURRY UP!!

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I'd be interested to see how this is going to work in practice - I'm not sure that I see the point of OR on smartphones, to be honest, nor do I see how it's going to work with touchscreen devices. I'd imagine that you'll need some sort of controller as I just can't see how it'd work otherwise.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ah, so there'll just be the one headset which will work on either PCs or smartphones. Makes sense - I've updated the article with that link. Cheers!

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Say hello to the star trek holodeck, using the camera on your phone to augment reality.

8. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

I feel like a kid on a family road trip....

Is it here yet? How bout now? Now? How much longer?

9. Malketh

Malketh What's a Dremel?

Having actually used the newer HD headets (EVE Valkyrie @ EveVegas) a couple of weeks ago, all I can do is cheer. More platforms = more fun (in theory).

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I tried the very first VR headsets, back in 1996. They were essentially helmets that clamped over your head. The 3D graphics were simple and blocky, but there we went, stepping through the looking glass into a new universe where there was no there. Good times.... good times.

11. mr.Ironic

mr.Ironic What's a Dremel?

They seriously called it vrAse? And their t shirt is of a fist? And one of the supporting people has Gas in their name. What were they thinking.