1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware OCZ RevoDrive Review: 120GB

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Sep 2010.

1. zef

zef What's a Dremel?

Yes but you forget that 24GB of ram is going to cost you a lot more than this drive, a couple hundred pounds/three hundred dollars. Plus you can't boot from it and in a enterprise environment it is unworkable as with power failure you have data loss.

However, some filesystems can use free memory to use as cache for the rest of the filesystem, sitting on hard drives and then use ssds as a cache after memory, with the slower mechanical drives providing storage space. In enterprise, this usually brings highest performance for the cost with excellent reliability. But it is far from mainstream.

2. zef

zef What's a Dremel?

Um, don't know man but I just ordered one and and it cost 80 dollars more than a vertex 2 120gb. We'll see how performance is :)

3. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

Hahaha interesting replies there, I am going to take a guess and say that TRIM is tough to implement for a RAID solution since the data may be across different disks and then you have the problem of parity data in more complex RAID structures.

Aren't there manufacturers utilities though that can you can run to do this garbage collection on the SSD's? You could set up an SSD RAID array and then just run this utility every so often and restore the performance.

4. zef

zef What's a Dremel?

Or just backup the whole drive every so often, wipe it a couple times and then move the data back on.

5. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

again why would any one on Bit-tech or normal users use 7 10k or 15k HDDs (ok maybe if it was something Very special like case mod or enterprise or high end workstation stuff but you could use SLC based SSD'S then but that does cost you) that's just stupid and would cost more then 1 SSD thats 256GB

Most users who Post about SSDs are bad are Most likely Never Used an SSD before or they used the FirstGen SSDs that lacked TRIM or used an JMmicron based SSD (the Best way on How to Not make an SSD)

i started on the S128 yes it was Slow at data rate{slower then an HDD :p} and Write random access did suck an little (only issue was Steam unlocking Pre-downloaded games), but it all made up for it in Random Read I/O as really thats all you should be looking at when getting an SSD and Any SSD above an Vertex or M225 (256GB i have now got it before it went up £100) personally just buy the cheapest SSD you can as they are all got good Random I/O now, i would not even Bother to look at what speed they can read and Write at when Reading/Writing sequential data as that's not what happens on an Real OS from day to day

by having to manually run the Trim tool every so often is they only way with an M225 or vertex SSD with Vista or XP

if you need speed and your willing to Spend that much just for Data rate + storage get 1 256GB or 128GB SSD and 2-4 raptors in RAID 0 or 5 (make sure you use the up to date Intel matrix driver so TRIM still works on the None raided SSD)

if you have Never used an SSD or an good SSD form the start you do not know what your missing with Near instant response to programs and files (msot of the time its lower then 1ms< you Throw random at an HDD aka Vista for very good example they die under I/O and become unresponsive )

6. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

bump

there currently is an bug in the firmware (like intel) if you fill This SSD to the point it runs out of space the drive becomes degraded permanently and what makes it worse with the IBIS or Revdrive you can not perform an low level format to it to fix it you have to RMA it currently, if tests was performed after drive had been put into an degraded state the review is invalid

under Norm use the SF-1200 even under raid the GC works well (anandtech tested it) as long as you do not Fill the disk to the point it runs out of space, but for the price of these cards i would recommend an Single SF-1200 or Single C300 based SSD, unless you require the High I/O RAID SSDs is pointless (i had an play with an Corsair F40 and i was Quite surprised on the slight speed improvement it had given, thats Real world not benchmarks like boot up and updates and programs)

7. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

Thank you for the bump, I was considering buying one of these drives in the near future. :)

Tags: Add Tags