1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU OCZ RMA experiences?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Krikkit, 1 Feb 2012.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Hi guys, my PSU went pop this morning (I'm having a great streak of bad luck at the moment!). Being an OCZ ModXStream still under warranty, how hard can I expect this to be? I submitted a ticket first thing this morning (once the stench of dead PSU had cleared) at about 7am and still haven't heard anything so far.

I've had the pleasure of a Corsair RMA and by now I'd be shipping it off to them for a replacement.

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Ive returned numerous pen drives over the past 2 years and can take a while to get the initial response through. Up to 24 hours I believe - I would generally get a reply the next day as a rule.

Probably the same department handling the initial contact I would think.

3. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Had to RMA and OCZ SSD a while back went went through no problem, got back to me usually within 24 hours or so.

Only issue is as far as I know OCZ products from the UK have to be shipped to denmark (it did for me anyway) which cost me around £30 for a small SSD which I wasn't refunded for so for a PSU I can see it being significantly more expensive.

That was a while ago however and they may now have a base in the UK which would make things easier but as far as the RMA is concerned, couldn't have went smoother.

4. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I've found you generally have to bug them a couple of times before they actually issue and RMA number and I've sometimes had to repeat myself.
    With a bit of persistence and not being too impatient with them, I've found they generally get the job done. They're not the best (I sometimes feel they fail to read queries properly the first time around) but they are definitely a long way from being a bad company when it comes to RMA service.

All in all, I'd say it took between 48-72 hours to get them to play along and then after that everything went forward smoothly.

5. Krikkit

That was the only thing that irritated me with Corsair! Shipping a PSU to Denmark/NL or wherever it is ends up being a right costly do, even using parcel monkey it's £20 or so...

6. Krikkit

Well a little update - I had the RMA accepted this morning at about 6:30am, and sent the PSU off via interparcel for £19.20 to der Nederlands. Not too bad for 5kg!

7. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Very good

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Where did you buy the PSU from Krikkit? Some retailers would have dealt with the warranty for you including collection of the faulty PSU! All these little things reduce costs. I know SCAN and ebuyer offer such services.

9. mkb

mkb Minimodder

I've RMA'd a PSU and recently my Vertex 3 and they have been more than helpful. Quick replacement with no problems.

10. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I RMA'd some RAM to OCZ a few years ago and found them to be quite helpful.
    They covered the cost of my shipping, though I think that was because my RAM modules were part of a known-bad batch at the time.

11. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

I thought the law was that if the product is faulty they have to pay for shipping costs?

12. Krikkit

Bought from OCUK, so thought better of it. ;)

As for shipping costs, I thought that too, but I'll quibble once I've got a working unit (and hopefully pc) again. :)

13. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Only in the short term under the Distance Selling Regulations. Plenty of retailers offer collection months after the purchase however. I recently successfully got a £98 refund for a defunct XBOX 360 Elite Console that I had owned for 3 years and 7 months before the red ring fault manifested. Have a read here...

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=217849&page=5

It's worth getting what you can out of your consumer rights!

14. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I'd say the only chance you got is if the item originally cost £100 or over and you paid for it on a credit card.

Good old Section 75. Worth arguing the point anyway as it can do no harm!

15. Krikkit

Well, issues about the cost of delivery aside, it was received at the RMA centre today, which is nice. Even better, however, is that a replacement was dispatched this afternoon! That's a good turnaround in my book. :)

16. Krikkit

Another update - PSU arrived, installed and working. Rest of the system seems 100% OK, so kudos to OCZ for building a PSU that can have such a spectacular bang and not take a delicate DFI with it. :thumb: