1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage OCZ Vertex 3 on SATA 6Gps - slow?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cjmUK, 18 Jan 2012.

1. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

A short while ago I bought a 120GB Vertex 3, and installed it in my existing PC (Gigabyte GA-X58A-U3DR) in a 6Gbps port.

Using HDTune and AS SSD, I'm getting approximate speeds of 200-220 Read and 90-100 Write. Certainly a little faster than my SATAII striped array, but nowhere new the headline speed of 500Gps R + W. Now, I don't seriously expect to read the headline speeds, but I expected a little better for my money.

Drivers for my mobo are up to date and the firmware is fairly recent if not the absolute latest build IIRC. The SSD might be a version behind also, but I don't think I can upgrade it non-destructively.

I accept that if all else fails - I might have to update BIOS + Firmware, but in the interim, what can I do to diagnose/investigate this apparent lack of speed?

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

First of all, your SATA3 port is Marvell 9128, which is, ehm, not very good. The 500MB/s speeds are meant for native Intel P67 and AMD chipset SATA3 controllers.

Second how many times did you run HD Tune and AS SSD ? Do you realize Sandforce doesn't like to be torture tested (AS SSD is a torture test in default settings) and actually turns in the write limiting mode if you run it more than once or twice in a week.

A link: http://www.guru3d.com/article/ocz-vertex-3-pro-review/13

Last edited: 18 Jan 2012
  3. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I think I did one test each, several weeks apart so I don't think I have 'tortured' it too much! :)

4. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Fair point on the limits of the marvel controller, but still my performance is still half that which you might expect.

5. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Quick checklist...

- i assume you actually have it connected to the Marvell controller & not the 3Gb/s intel one? (NB admittedly the intel one will give a faster low end so, whilst you then naturally wouldn't have as high sequentials...)

- i assume you set the controller up in ahci or trim mode?

- --------"-------- updated to the lastest intel/Marvell drivers?

- --------"-------- have nothing else on the controller, if you're using the Marvell one?

- --------"-------- ran WEi?

- --------"-------- double checked that Windows isn't defragging the drive?

- --------"-------- restarted before each test? (whilst not 100% that on board Marvell controllers will pass on trim commands, so it may have no effect, restarting does send one that does recovers speed on the 6Gb/s SFs on better controllers - ie a decent intel or AMD one)

- --------"-------- altered the power saving mode so that the HDDs never turn off/or at least had several hours before doing so?

- --------"-------- made sure that you're not using anything with outlandish writes? (ie using it as a temp drive for p2p...)

- --------"-------- checked the alignment? (if you cloned your old install then there's a possibility that it's not aligned.)

Ummmmm...

...there's probably some more stuff to check, but that's a reasonable starting check list - along with also updating the mobo bios...

Tbh, if i had to guess based on the numbers, i'd go with the alignment being out...

...but there's a few things in there that 'could' cumulatively have been mis-set &/or hammering it.