1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Odd Ram fault

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by BA_13, 1 Jun 2019.

1. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

So I've been having a few random BSOD of crashes recently and thought I had traced it to a loose stick of RAM, however the fault has reappeared and it appears to be the UEFI changing the settings for the RAM from auto to something random.

Ran memtest and it failed due to too many errors, reset UEFI to auto and zero errors, all good for a week or two then a BSOD. Run memtest and it fails due to errors again on too many errors. Check back in the UEFI and a setting has changed without human intervention. Reset to auto and run memtest and it's all good. Set system to XMP and run memtest again and all good.

The system is as per the signature, all drivers are up to date, windows is up to date and SFC and DICM show all healthy. Just seen that I am a BIOS revision out of date so that is downloading to install later. Power comes via a UPS and power here is good anyway.

So does anyone have any ideas what could cause the settings to change by themselves? System is powered 24/7 in case that makes a difference (i'd assume that was unlikely).

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

First guess would be it's reverting to the backup BIOS.
    Second guess would be some sort of software changing it.

3. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Thanks for the reply Corky42, hoping the new BIOS resolves the issue, i've noted the settings i'm using and if it changes again i'll reset it to default and see if it matches the settings when the machine is failing. Just wondering if I should change the CMOS battery in case its failed but i'd have thought that unlikely.

Any idea what software is capable of making changes to the BIOS, I wasn't aware this was possible?