1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL Oh, I'll just take a zero off this, shall I?

Discussion in 'General' started by Unicorn, 25 Sep 2014.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I'll get straight to the point; an increasing number of businesses I deal with are sending quotations and invoices via email in Microsoft Word (.docx) format. Does anyone else consider it a basic IT skill for office personnel to be capable of producing an uneditable invoice or quotation to send via email? Have these people even heard of Portable Document Format? I find it hilarious. I am actually considering knocking a zero off a recent quote and sending it back to the firm with an order confirmation, just to see what happens.

2. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

:thumb: Do it!

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You know that a PDF file is trivially editable, right? Even when locked down with access restrictions and a viewing password, the DRM is easily bypassed - especially if you can print (thank you, operating systems with a built-in "Print to PDF" option!)

Okay, so it's a little different to opening read-write in Word as the default action, but still. The real answer is contracts/invoices with cryptographic signatures; edit the file, the signature becomes invalid. I think Adobe's DRM wrapper supports that now, although you could do the same easily with PGP/GPG and a file of any format - even DocX.

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 6 Jan 2018
  5. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I only pay invoices that are sealed with a wax stamp

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Stone tablets for me. Try editing those.

Bit of a bugger to send in the mail, though...

7. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

E-documents certainly can stand their ground. How do you think 99% of business is transacted now ? Its a order over email and they do not have signatures on.

I work for a $20bn company and have to comply with SOX and we transact 100% of our business like this.

8. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Wait you pay invoices....
    That's where I have been going wrong.

Most of the stuff I see is pdf, which I consider to be uneditable enough for general use

9. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

We used to fax purchase orders over to most of our suppliers, we only moved over to PDF/email a couple of years ago..... oh the shame.

10. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Me? I'll only pay invoices that are intricately carved into the subdermis of the rep or salesperson who is handling my purchase.

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 6 Jan 2018
  12. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

That's nothing. Until fairly recently, the only legally recognised way for solicitors to communicate electronically was by Telex ;)