Graphics Old PC and no money...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulintheuk, 25 Feb 2010.

1. paulintheuk

paulintheuk What's a Dremel?

Hi people, need your help...

Basically I have inherited a fairly old PC as a "make do" PC until I get the funds to put together something decent and I want to do some gaming (Doom 3, Half life 2 etc).

The current rig is a 2.8, 768 mB DDR2, 160 GB HDD, running windows XP (I know it sucks...)

My plan at the moment is to buy another GB of RAM and I've seen a Geforce 8600GT at about £30, this will let me play some games, monitor is small so resolution will be low (1024 x 768).

I'm hoping to build an i5/i7 PC later this year and keep the 8600 just to run as a PhysX card... does this sound like a worthwhile use of (very limited) cash?

All suggestions gratefully accepted!!!!

2. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

Sounds like a pretty good idea considering your budget. However, if your considering using something like an 8600 GT as a physx card, the actual benefit from such a card will be minimal. For £55 off Scan, you can pick up a basic version of the 9600 GT which will be a better jump up than the 8600 GT as well as having greater potential as a physx card. This all depends on however, the ability/stability of the PSU in the current PC and whether the motherboard supports PCI-E.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/512M...z-DDR3-GPU650MHz-64-Cores-2x-DL-DVI-I-S-Video