1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old PC Not starting

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Monkey, 2 May 2006.

1. Monkey

Monkey What's a Dremel?

Im having a look at someones pc for them as it's not starting up anymore. After pluging everything in i started up, got no post beep and no display.I have checked the psu voltage on the 12V line and when the pc first starts its 11.88V but after about 20 seconds it drops to 10.90V. So to rull out the psu i unpluged it and tested the machine with a psu of mine that i know works. So i turn it on the voltage starts up around 12V then after about 20 seconds the voltage just jumps up and down between 9.**V and 12V, when the voltage jumps up and down the 3 keyboard lights flash on and off. Unplug the on/off and reset but still the same problem. So i unplug everything from the board only thing the psu is powering is the mobo but still no display,no post beep, voltage starts fluxuating and keyboard lights flashing. The Fan on the cpu is on though, but where the voltage is flutuating the fan slows a bit and speeds up.

So the only thing i can think of is that the mobo or cpu as died. Anyone have any input ??

Its a P3 cpu.

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

First thought: check the CMOS battery, when they die strange things happen...

3. Monkey

Monkey What's a Dremel?

k will do, think i have another battery here.

4. Monkey

Monkey What's a Dremel?

Took the battery out and tested it with a metre and it was 3.02V, tried another battery anyways but still get the same thing. I have a old athlon board with sdram pc-100 which this p3 also uses so i tried a different ram stick just to make sure but still the same. I have tried a generic psu that i have laying about, when the machine is turned ou it starts at 12ish V but then drops down to 9.4V, the keyboard lights flash on and off but once it drops below 10V the lights go out. Tested it with a thermaltake butterfly 480W and got the results i explained above.

Something i have noticed is when the power fluxuates the led in the butterfly starts flashing abnormal. Normally it flash's different colours slowly, when the power fluxuates it flash's different colours quicker.

Last edited: 3 May 2006
  5. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

Possibly the Vreg's on the mobo have bit it.

see if you can pop the chip into a new mobo to confirm POST is okay...

6. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Sounds to me like the mobo is toast, possibly the CPU as well. I'd try the processor in another system to see if it's OK.

7. Blackfish23

Blackfish23 Minimodder

Have you removed the graphics card if there is one, or is it on board?

8. Monkey

Monkey What's a Dremel?

Onboard graphics, cant try the cpu in another system as i dont have any P3 Slot 1 Boards. Took the mobo out the case to try just too make sure the case wasing causing a problem and its a no go just the fan spinning. The memory works as i tryed that in a athlon slot a board.