1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Oldest Computer Find

Discussion in 'General' started by Ryu_ookami, 24 Jan 2009.

1. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

Up until recently the oldest computer we had in the house was a 386 overdrive lol.

The oldest computer I owned was a Pentium 120MHz, 16MB RAM, 1GB HDD and 8x CDROM. Retro! It ran Win95.

All got chucked out though and now the oldest thing we've got is a PowerMac 7300/200. Runs OS 8.4 - or something like that. Needs to be updated to OS9 really...

2. Major

Major Guest

There is already a thread like this from ages ago.

3. DarkFear

DarkFear What's a Dremel?

CBM 4032
    IIc
    etc

Will see if i can snap some pics tommorow...

4. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

So, if you found that thread, THAT would actually be the oldest computer find...

5. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I can vividly remember playing Halo on a 98SE machine.
    And upgrading from Win95 to 98SE.
    And playing with notepad on a 386 (Win3.1), printing out entire pages of j letters, with an i mixed in, to see if people could spot the i.
    I was cool at 8 years old :lol:

6. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

Hey kids, do you even know this?

[​IMG]

Well, I still have it :)

[​IMG]

Anyway, I have LOTS of my old stuff. Not very old, sadly - a few years back my old house burned to the ground and I lost the really good stuff. I can't bring myself to throw it all out, this "junk" brings so many great memories (I almost got kicked out of university when my dumb friend was playing around with my precious programs - and he messed the punchcards completely. And they weren't numbered (total of ~550). I started beating him with the box (made of wood) and I hurt him badly.

I try to slowly move the old stuff out, but I love it all so much it just keeps coming back. Just yesterday I bought this baby:

[​IMG]

My coffee table is a box full of these:

[​IMG]

Makes me smile when I see people say that Pentium 100 or a 486 are "incredibly old". Ah, the Windows generation, I still remember the feeling I got when I started punching my first cards. It felt so... high-tech. I can't even phrase how good it felt. Writing C++ and hitting "compile" feels nice too, but it's less personal. Back in the good ol' days you could judge if the computer was going to give problems just by listening to it, when you entered the computer room it was literally entering the computer. You could feel electricity and vibration all around you. It was a magical experience, the GUI people won't ever understand it.

7. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

I remember Binatone it was the first thing I ever played, the sound of beep.....beep still brings back a smile. :)

8. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I don’t smile, I feel old. then I remember that 27 isn't actually that old.
    I think I was in grade 7 when doom came out. And we played it on a 486. I remember someone at school saying a friend was playing it on a 386 and the chain gun fired in slo-mo. Thats when 2GB hard drives were high end. And now its 2TB! Wow, 2GB, so massive, I mean, descent was only like 14 or 20MB.
    Oh, that reminds me of scorched earth for some reason. That massive time waster deserved game of the year for whenever it came out.

9. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I'm sure we had the same system, but in a different case when I was a kid. I still remeber the day my parents bought it back in the 70's from the big House of Fraser Dept. Store in town.

Ours had a 'faux' wooden case on top though, with a fab lurid orange plastic bottom. The controlers clipped into the case for storage, and the console had big chunky selector switches for the type of game and the speed and size of bat - it was always odd that when my old man was playing, the bats got smaller and it sped up... ;)

Amstrad 3" floppies - Way to go Alan.

I had the add on floppy drive for my CPC464. They (the floppies - which where anything but floppy) where nigh on indistructable, but absolutley incompatible with any other system (apart from the old (Tatung?) Einstiens, IIRC).

I can just see the board meeting now:

"I'm not paying another X Million quid in royalties for another half inch & compatibility! You're fired!"

:D

10. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Ive just found in a pile of my old stuff in the shed an airtight case, that from the looks of it was for transporting 300mm wafers or something. Not really old but i got rid of everything else just after christmas.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Think it might make quite a cool case thinking about it.

Last edited: 28 Jan 2009
  11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

That does look freaking sweet! Atom case!

But it's not HDD platter I don't think, look at the date on it :p

12. Degenerate83

Degenerate83 What's a Dremel?

oldest thing i had untill recently when i sold it online was a 1986 spectum sinclair zx +2 man i rememeber waiting like 45mins while it loaded paperboy agh those were the days!!!!

[​IMG]

i now have images of listening and watching the multicolor rave that was the load screen

[​IMG]

.......shiver......... oh how wrong was that!!!

13. PapaBearNZ

PapaBearNZ What's a Dremel?

No jury would convict I swear! I can remember that lesson - the one immediately before I started numbering my cards. Unfortunately I couldn't walk into the computer. We had to send the cards away to be run on a timeshare computer in another town.

Indeed. I can completely relate! I can recall the heady days of writing in machine language and manually assembling - including deciding exactly where in RAM to put the code and the datasets. Building software to run in 4Kb of RAM (yes that's 4096 bytes people - and you had to include the o/s and data in that space! The o/s was copied from ROM into RAM on boot to run.)

But you tell the kids that these days - they never believe ya!

PB

14. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

After digging about on the net a bit it seems it is transporting THESE the whole things is roughly a 12"x12"x12" Cube, I think there were 2 more buried away aswell.

Too big for atom but i rekon a micro atx system would fit in nice and tightly. I feel a project comming on :thumb:

15. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Not 1935 but I still have my first sliderule from the 1960s with leather clipon belt pouch. Sad, but I still know how to use it. GEEK! And my first microscope.

john

16. PapaBearNZ

PapaBearNZ What's a Dremel?

I can't take credit for the slide-rule. It is one that my mother used all through her schooling and was given to her at about 5 years old (hence the circa 1935 age)

I really want to learn how to use it properly. Would be a cool way to do basic calculations without getting out the trusty Ti-89.

17. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

There are a couple Macintosh Plusses (and a couple SEs) running around in my basement... I believe some of them still work, even.

(Every time I see them, I really want to pull the guts out of one, and mount an LCD screen and Shuttle guts...)

(edit) I remember telnetting into the local library's system from one of the SEs, and thinking that it was so cool that I could search for books and place holds from home. I wonder if the telnet service is still running?(/edit)

Last edited: 29 Jan 2009
  18. Doc

Doc oops.

A while ago I found a still-shrinkwrapped copy of the original Microsoft Flight Simulator.. guess it was piled along with some other software I got from another shop a long time ago. The CGA graphics look kickass ;)

Other than that, every and now and then I fire up the old Vic-20 (my first computer) for a game of menagerie or moon patrol.

I've also got a classic gaming rig.. an AMD 586-133 (OCed to 160), ATI RageII 2MB Video, Quantum Obsidian Voodoo2 24-meg card, Soundblaster Awe64, 2.1GB WD Hard Drive.

That's aboot it for the old stuff.. what isn't at my shop has been tossed long ago.

19. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

I have an old IBM laying splayed on my desk. Its an old 486 proccesor with a whopping 2GB HDD (IDE) and a CD-ROM drive. It actually has an old ATI (Diamond) Graphics card. Also has, sound card (possibly old creative model?) old modem with audio in/out, 3.5 floppy, printer & serial/COM ports and an old AT PSU, which i have gutted for the nice 80mm Fan and switch.

20. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Thought I'd binned them all the other week, but found a draw full of PII's and PIII's. Slung the slowest ones straight in the bin 233, 266 (there were 4 of each of these) and I'm left with three which I'm trying to sell on ebay, not a chance lol.