1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Oldest hard drives you have

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by meandmymouth, 12 Dec 2022.

1. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I was looking at the age of the drives in my NAS and realised that maybe I should start replacing them. The 4 of them or between 38k and 42k hours which I think is quite a lot.

It got my wondering if anyone here has got any drives with more hours on than those and that they still have running?

2. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I have a batch of 500gb drives that I think I ripped from sky boxes I use for my download and upload drive in my server, last check, about a year ago, all had about 30k hours on them and probably some sector issues but nothing important is on them.
    When the drives are used up I will use my spare NAS drives but these 500gbs are doing a fine job.

Found out a mate has a stash of 20gb IDE drives! no idea why or hours on them

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not sure about power-on hours, but the oldest hard drive I have in active service is a 4.3GB Maxtor in my Risc PC. Still works fine!

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I only have 1 spinney disk now, In my external back-up drive and, that was new last year.

5. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

6. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

[​IMG]
    HGST 2TB, was replaced preventively a week or so ago because threw up pending sector. So close to 100k hours :(.

Some other spinners in NAS and workstation sit around 60-70k hours (mix of reds and ironwolfs).

7. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Nice thing about HDDs vs SSDs is they (normally) give you some warning before they die completely. I personally wouldn't pre-emptively replace unless its truly critical data, in which case why don't you have backups stupid!

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Longest running or oldest?

Oldest still in use: A 1TB WD Green, got it around 2008, still in my system with a on/off switch because it's more of a back up disk now. Not sure why it's only 20k hours though, until a few years ago it was always running with my PC.

Longest running: A WD Red WD40EFRX, almost 60k hours on it. It was running in my 2-bay NAS previously. I use all the retired disks my HP microserver for mirror backup.
    upload_2022-12-12_21-12-32.png

9. creative

creative 500rwhp

got a couple of disks in my unraid server with 70k+ hours on them. came out of a server at work because they supposedly failed.. that was probably 3years ago now. I used them to play with unraid initially and they are still in there working fine.

Last edited: 14 Dec 2022
  10. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

This is making me feel so much better. I was getting concerned about the age of my disks and thought about replacing them all, but since everything is backed up elsewhere it doesn't seem worth the effort now.

11. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

No spinners, no old SSDs, just 2 m.2 nvme drives now.

12. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

Several 10 years old ones in my pc...no issues so far

13. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

i have two 2gb maxtors and 3 5gb ibm,toshiba and wd drives with gaming stuff on mostly quake unreal and half life mods on with either win98 or win2k on also. oh and one deathstar with what was valuable lightwave projects i was working on when it died couldnt afford data recovery at the time :(.