1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics On-board video AND discrete graphics card?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by daverobson08, 9 Jul 2011.

1. daverobson08

daverobson08 What's a Dremel?

Hi, I feel somewhat remiss about starting another thread for what I am sure is a slap-in-the-face-obvious-answer but I am thoroughly stumped on this one and have been for a good while.

My motherboard is a cheap P5KPL-AM EPU (Intel G31). I really can't work out the following:

1) Whether I can run two displays out of my graphics card (8800 GTS 512) AND one from the on-board video (VGA port)

2) IF I can, then how?

The BIOS graphics adapter options are as follows:

IGD
    PCI/IGD
    PCI/PEG
    PEG/IGD
    PEG/PCI

The fact that there are two options for IGD/x makes me think I should be able to do this. Is my logic flawed? Is this a motherboard/BIOS specific limitation?

Please save me from my embarrassment! Thank you in advance

Dave

2. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

Usually when the BIOD detects a graphics card installed on the PCI bus it will disable the onboard adapter. Some do not, but it is not common to allow it to be enabled.

3. daverobson08

Thanks Boris, I guess that's what I was afraid of

4. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

As Boris said, some boards will automatically disable onboard if a card is detected in PCIE. BUT judging from your BIOS options, you should be able to run both. Since usually in BIOS PEG=PCIE, and IGD=Onboard, the option you're looking for therefore looks like PEG/IGD.

5. daverobson08

Thanks for the advice guys, I've solved the problem (sort of). I took a crappy x16 8400GS and hacksawed the pins off which I didn't need. Popped it in the PCIe x1 slot and away we go!

Many thanks to the brave individuals who were among the first to try this! I can safely say that in my situation it has worked. Both monitors now running off separate cards; I just need a third to complete the picture!