1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News One in five Windows installs not genuine

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 24 Jan 2007.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Given what they make in margins, I can't say I feel bat at all about them being massively pirated. Despite having switched to Linux, I am sorely tempted to get a pirate copy of Vista just to feel like I'm shafting MS. :thumb:

2. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I run a legit copy, got it for $63 so it wasn't so bad a price... still not something I'd to pay

Linux comes in handy in that aspect, it just really needs to become more supported

3. ChromeX

ChromeX New Member

Absolutely, I cant remember the last person who i know that bought a computer.
    But I bet there'll come a time when the average bloke who buys his computer gets a virus and a format is needed.

Since a lot of these companies install the os for you but don't actually give you a hard copy they're screwed. And then its a case of installing a cracked copy that your techie-mate has. Now I know that most purchases probably say your entitled to a copy (in the small print somewhere) to be done by an engineer or some-such but who actually bothers going through all that hassle?

Yeah it does its a shame in a way, people wont use it without support (at least the support windows has) but developers dont usually bother because people dont use it.

4. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

So enthusiasts are screwed?

I'm frequently formatting and reinstalling windows, either for a HDD upgrade or a general clean out and the want of that new OS smell. Tuff @#$% if you run a power rig and at least twice yearly upgrade your mobo/CPU.

Unless ultimate comes with unlimited re-validations (as enthusiasts would need) then M$ are really living up to the $ part of their name. Single copy for say 2-3 computers would be nice too (WHOO WHOO next stop fairyland :worried: :eyebrow: )

I have a legit copy of xp home (came with my laptop) I run xp pro (which I will probably buy now that vista will start knocking prices down) (because I use a network where i don't want my shared folders accessable to anybody)

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Most people I know went legit when they went to uni because they didn't have to pay for it. Mainly due to our ages and jobs we couldn't afford £150 on an OS.

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

That argument always falls flat when you find the pirate gets all his software for free, with the possible exception of a game or two.

I bet the figure for Photoshop is 99 illegal in 100. :eyebrow: And Dreamweaver.

7. DivineSin

DivineSin New Member

Wouldnt doubt it, those programs prices are outrageous.

8. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Um.. Legit, think so, well maybe not, manily becasue I hate a validation process to any software. If they didnt have validation I would buy a copy for £50 purhaps.

Example:
    Co-Pilot; I got this with a GPS unit I had a while ago, comes on a 1gb CD card. I recently got a new phone and it is a GPS unit aswell, so I had to re-install the program. Come to activate the software, it tells me that it's already activated, please de-activate the other version first. So, an email and 2 days later they let me activate it! After I explain that my old GPS unit went funny, and that my last desktop installed I re-formatted.

I got the job done but its hassle. I normally re-install windows twice a year, why have to ring up M$?????

Talking about update processes, Autopatcher does they job for me, just cant use Windows Media Player 10, oh boo-hoo, no bother there!

Regards
    GiGo

9. ikra

ikra New Member

my laptop blew up.. used the os key for my new desktop instead... is that legal?

10. XuhQshinR

XuhQshinR New Member

Absolutely Not.... Blowing Up Laptops are strictly forbidden Therefore Illegal! :nono:

11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

ikra: That is not a legal transfer of the license. If the laptop is in warranty then you would get a new key, if not then you have to purchase a new unit.

Unless your license is a retail one, extremely unlikely.

12. kergareth

kergareth New Member

I don't know... The amount of corporate bulk license isn't that insignificant. 20:1 perhaps

Tags: Add Tags