1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One Stepping Beyond

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Fly, 19 Jul 2004.

1. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

James Morris questions Intel's LGA775 CPU overclockability here.

(note that due to a few technical problems although the author is James Morris, the column shows Chris Caines; this will be fixed ASAP)

2. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

how is that a technical problem exactly?

nice column anyway, as always

(i had a P150 & we broght it in the matter of weeks before it was superceded)

lieing computer magazines......

3. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

I have a correction to make on the reason why the 915chipsets arnt overclocking. It was origionally thought by Anandtech that it was a PLL problem (might have been fed this by Intel the way anand is going) however it was determined by PC Ekspert that infact it was the chipset voltage that was limiting overclocking (intel have done this before) and as you can see in this article that infact there is no lock

4. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

nice find there. didnt intel originaly introduce a lock to stop people locking the procs at differnt multis then selling them on as higher speed chips?

5. Dadmag

Dadmag What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the kind words.

Carrera actually sold very few P150s off the back of the review. As I'd been honest and said the P166 was soon to arrive, they sold bucketloads of that instead. They even got reprints of the article and used it as a sales tool! I'd been in the job a couple of months only and it was a big kick for me!

6. Dadmag

Dadmag What's a Dremel?

Interesting stuff. The only way I got the Shuttle 915G system to 214MHz FSB was by raising the NB voltage. I'd kind of lost hope and was just messing around with any settings I could - the SB81P has a CMOS reset button on the back so it's not too much hassle if the thing fails to POST. Which it did. A lot. I think there might be another 0.1V I can give the NB, so I might give it a try and see if I can get a better FSB as a result.

7. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

good stuff.

I remeber overclocking my intel 120 mmx to 133 when i got my voodoo banshee, boy did I own hldm that day

8. Dadmag

Dadmag What's a Dremel?

I thought MMX started at 166?

9. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

and carrera are still arround today, althou there part of SCC now, or SCC is part of them.... heh, carrera are currently selling off the stock for the company i used to work for (multivision I'm assuming James has heard of them) shame the prices are rather scary for what they call C and D grade stock.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Uhhh WHERE??? Id like to know cause its not that easily found and ive been looking pretty hard to find one. Even then, they have to be i855 based unless somehow someone can hack another board into accepting P-Ms.

11. Dadmag

Dadmag What's a Dremel?

Well, the Pentium-M motherboards are not really readily available - they're engineering samples. It's something being looked into at the moment, as the Pentium M has so much potential for the enthusiast community. I'll see if I can find out more on where you can get one.

Dodge: Well, yes, Carrera's name and plant machinery were sold to SSC, but I don't think any of the key staff went over. It's really a completely different company. Not even London-based now. Until they got their credit cut and went down in a matter of weeks, they were one of the best UK integrators around - PC Pro almost never got a complaint about the old Carrera's customer service. I would honestly have recommended their machines to anyone (and often did). That was one of the first shocks of the IT crash. Multivision's demise was a surprise, but not really so much of a shock. I probably shouldn't say any more in public...

:D

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That'd be mint James
    :thumb: :thumb: As soon as i can get hold of one ill be ripping my P-M out my lappy for some hardcore ocing.

13. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

Multivision's demise was very shocking to pretty much everyone in the community, heck i was tempted to buy one of their fully stocked laptops for a bargin price, seams they where just making too much of a loss.

The real thing that scared me about this company is that everyone was singing their priases, even on mags that where on press only a week before. I recal one mag gave it an A-List status the issue before they collapsed Oops!

The one that caught me out was the lack of any profit warning, well thats not true, but anymore of a profit warning that every company was been given on the back of the .com bubble or sept the 11th.

14. tmod

tmod What's a Dremel?

Soltek has released a motherboard with the LGA775 socket but using the i865 chipset, so no overclock lock.

Tags: Add Tags