1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Online monestization for Call of Duty?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Nov 2009.

1. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i dont like the new way multiplayer is done, finding new host mid game is a bit wierd, and sometimes its extremely laggy, if the host just happens to have a rubbish internet connection, rubbish pc that only just runs the game anyway without it hosting the game as well.

i think they should rethink the dedicated server position.

2. Reverse

Reverse Reverse/srvR

If this happens, they are basicly forcing "us" gamers to play on cracked servers.
    Yes, dedicated (or close to it) will probably be hacked aswell soon.

Just like they hacked the Developer Console today. =)

3. VaLkyR-Assassin

VaLkyR-Assassin Minimodder

I can't afford monthly subscription fees, so if this ever happens, I'll never buy another CoD game ever again. I won't lose any sleep over it either.

4. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

I believe the phrase "nail in the coffin" applies here

5. knuck

knuck Hate your face

despite what I said in the other cod6 thread, I have to reply to this one

I can't believe how good Activision are at getting worse and worse every time they do something, whether it's opening their mouths or actually taking a decision.

What's next ? Are they going to charge us for NOT buying the game ? Or will I get a bill because I heard "Call of Duty" somewhere. Am I going to get sued for treason because I played Medal of Honnor back in 2001 ?

WHAT DO YOU WANT ACTIVISION ? TELL ME WHAT YOU WAANNNNTTT

actually nevermind, I know what you want ... $$$$$$$$$

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Well apart from the millions who happily pay for xbox live, muppets. :rolleyes: of course everyone else is going to want to do this can't have MS and Activision laughing in the face of other publishers now can we.

7. alexicore5000

alexicore5000 What's a Dremel?

Jeeezzzzz.....if you dont like what they do or what they're doing to the game play another game! It's not the apocalypse...i know full well that's not going to be caused by Activision. its going to be caused by Google and Apple (who I'm still reeling over the fact I didn't buy shares in both in 2001!)

but seriously Activision aren't stupid enough to make all forthcoming titles in the CoD franchise subscription based...it'll be probably be an offshoot (like WoW is to Warcraft)

8. knuck

knuck Hate your face

it is actually much more important than just a single game... everything has been said in the 25 mw2 threads, have fun reading

9. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

Ok now I just think they are trying to start internet flame wars and rofling back in the office...

10. alexicore5000

alexicore5000 What's a Dremel?

yeah, but they havent stopped laughing since CoD3........best racing game ever

11. E_Spaghetti

E_Spaghetti What's a Dremel?

Because there's no corporate greed in your country??

12. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Would be nice to get an Activision employees point of view (anon of course) from any of their studios, or even anyone from the games industry ... is subsciptions to publishers content and micropayments the future?

Actually will we be better off? Because let's say CoD:2010 arrives, we pay the first months sub of say £6 or $9, game turns out to be ****, we cancel sub ...

13. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

They use a specific set of words. "Online monetization". If you're not sure of what the word monetization it basically means to either make into legal tender (i.e. obama suddenly declares basket ball legal tender to the worth of $20) or to take something that is either unprofitable or non-revenue generating and make it profitable / generate revenue. The best example of this is the .com boom. So many websites, the only ones that survived were capable of adapting. I.e. using Advertising and subscription fees to pay for hosting costs and what not.

Problem I have with this is that monetization turns something that isn't profitable into something that is, not taking something that's already extremely popular and charging even more money for it. That's extortion. We're already paying over the odds for DLC (way over the odds, considering how many people buy it the profit margins are INSANE) and now they want us to pay more.

Now, "Online Monetization" has one meaning, taking online play which is currently free, and making money off it somehow. It could go the subscription route, and it could go your DLC idea route, but the biggest profits to be made from players right now are microtransactions. 50p for a silencer/red dot sight/grenlauncher. Oh wait, you want a grip for your SAW? That's a high level upgrade. £1.

Those prices are probably way inflated on what they would be, but by playing things out with fractional costs to them, players are more likely to purchase not realise how much they are spending. If you think £10 a month is too steep to pay for a game, imagine paying 10p per upgrade. Most people might think this a reasonable price, until you think about upgrading every weapon. Then think about buying DLC and what new weapons / upgrades the DLC will contain. A game that cost you £35 could cost you in excess of £85 over time.

Crock of ****. This isn't "monetization", it's extortion.
    Not saying there isn't, but in an American court if a group of shareholders go to a court and say "this company didn't act in our best interest because if they had implemented a micro-transactional system they could've made us millions." Everything a U.S. corporation does is to please shareholders more than it is to do anything for the industry. They view it more as part of their stock portfolio rather than publisher of games.

/sleepy rant. :)

14. Nicholas

Nicholas What's a Dremel?

yeah and we know how well EA is doing right now - im kind of happy to see them abandon half their stuff - but firing alot of employees is bad... and its bad for their stock portfolio. It's a toss up in the economy we are in now i guess.

leave the "make people pay for it" to WarCraft... and xbox live!

15. impar

impar Minimodder

Tags: Add Tags