1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice opinion wanted

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rowland, 6 Sep 2010.

1. Rowland

Rowland PC Gamer

hi,
    I'm about to get a dedicated Gaming PC and have put together my spec build. I'm mostly into playing RPG's such as Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3, Witcher etc and would welcome opinions on the set up below.

ie, is this sufficient for high or high'ish-end gaming ? ...is there anything that I'm missing, isn't right or could improve upon ?

CPU: - Intel® Core i7 930
    CPU Cooler: - Corsair H50 Hydro Series CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: - Asus P6X58D-E
    Memory: - 6.0GB Corsair DDR3 1600mhz (3x 2GB)
    Hard Drives: - 1.5TB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s
    Optical Drive: - 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
    Graphics card: - ATI Radeon HD 5970 2GB
    Sound card: - Onboard 7.1 Audio
    Internet: - Wireless 802.11N 300Mbps MIMO PCI card
    Case: - Antec Twelve Hundred
    PSU: - 950W Corsair TX

Many thanks !

2. NeiltheDruid

NeiltheDruid Minimodder

That system is setup for high end gaming easy. It'll flatten the games you've quoted above.

3. nickolay

nickolay What's a Dremel?

i would suggest lowering down on psu as i think its overkill. and i'm sure people would say get pro os insted of premium (not sure why :))

4. [KNIGHT]

[KNIGHT] What's a Dremel?

Firstly this is a very good system. All the games you mentioned can be played on this.

If you have the money buy a SSD. It could speed up your system a little bit.

For your current config the PSU you have mentioned is an overkill. If you want you can lower your PSU. But if you dont want to its fine. And if you keep it it might help you for your future upgrades (ex. crossfiring 2 5970. Eventhough this is a massive overkilll ive seen some people doing it)

5. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

Antec 1200 is a monster, you will need a small crane to get it out the box.
    Just check the dims before you buy.
    Haf 922 is a nice case, and easy for cable management, it's tricky to build a tidy PC in a 1200.

6. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

whats your budget as you have spec'd a pretty expensive machine and its extremely high end for gaming.

Fallout 3 and elders scrolls would max out on a machine costing half as much

7. chrisc1277

chrisc1277 Minimodder

thats certainly going to be a beast. if only i could get such a thing at this moment in time. i agree with the above comment, if you can afford all that, id look into splashing out for a SSD aswell. would definatly add to the bragging rights! if budget isnt a problem, 2x 5870's in crossfire is supposed to be better than a 5970 but costs more. but to be honest, what youve got would definatly play anything.

8. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I would lowering down for the PSU, like a 750w and with the balance take a SSD.

9. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Look at the Silverstone Raven R0V2 case.
    I have the 1200 but is starting to get a bit dated.

10. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Suggestions: If you have some extra money in the build, I'd suggest you get a SSD in addition to the HDD you have listed and load the OS on that.

As for the CPU cooler, do you really need the H50? Are you going to overclock your computer that much? A normal HSF would probably do the trick for much cheaper. Think of the H50 as midway between HSF cooling and water cooling. Also, if you're set on the H50 have you considered the H70? That one has 2 fans with it so you don't need to buy a second fan to set up push/pull.

Overall though a very nice build.

11. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Even on a 30" LCD, I'm pretty sure a 5870 could max out every game you've listed there.

12. Rowland

Rowland PC Gamer

Thank you

thank you all very much for your kind replies and advise - very re-assuring and much appreciated as a newbie !

I've now ordered this system - it costs approx £1.6k - I wanted to factor in headroom for expansion/future-proofing and my initial research into Gaming PC's led me to believe that I would have to fork out 3k + for a high ender so I'm v pleased with the price v spec.

I dropped the PSU down to an 850w as suggested.

I didn't see the comment re the Antec 1200 case before I ordered - I hope it's ok...

I'll probably get a SSD as a future upgrade as & when I need a bit more performance.

Cheers.

Last edited: 8 Sep 2010
  13. adam_bagpuss

Antec 1200 is fine and cable routing is ok as there are plenty of holes to route cables behind the motherboard etc.

14. Rowland

Rowland PC Gamer

Nice one - thanks for the re-assurance !

15. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Just out of interest what size is the monitor o this setup??

16. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

home premium is just fine, for most home users, pro comes into its own, when you need xp compatability as well though.

as my kids found out, they have a flash based game that has a wierd usb attachment, that no drivers for win7 are available for, but xpmode, worked perfectly for it, just attached the device from the menu up top, and now it works fine

17. Rowland

Rowland PC Gamer

@wejjy: I'm going to hitch it up to a Samsung 42inch LCD HD ready TV.

@RichCreedy: Thanks for the OS advise.

18. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Sorry to be pedantic, but HD ready e.g 720p or Full HD 1080p, as this makes a difference, either way, that 5970 is huuuuuge overkill. Enjoy! I like your style!

19. Rowland

Rowland PC Gamer

not at all - it's full 1080p - I can't remember if it goes one step up from this as well - i'll look at the manual this evening.

I wanted the 5970 for future proofing as much as anything but also to have the option to be able to play some top-spec games such as Crysis etc.

I hope i've done the right thing !

20. adam_bagpuss

yeah if its only HD ready it will have a low res of 1366x768 which is silly when paired with a 5970.

you could get a 1GB 460 for 1/3 of the price and still max the settings out for every modern game lol