1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Optical drive slow speed after replacement

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by academica, 20 Nov 2010.

1. academica

academica What's a Dremel?

Hello all,

The optical drive NEC ND-6500A on my notebook Packard Bell EasyNote E4 manufactured Nov 2004 had to be replaced because of gradual deterioration of functions.

I replaced it with a TEAC DW-224E-R drive, which works well, but when I play a DVD-9 or DVD-5 movie, the playing speed is slower than normal - for 20 seconds playing time pass 30 seconds real time, the sound is slower and there is audible cracking.

Later I tried other optical drives (Read-only and RW) from SONY, HP, NEC and TEAC, but the result has always been the same. No problems, however with am audio CD and VCD - the speed is normal.

I mounted the TEAC DW-224E-R back, uninstalled and updated the driver in the Device Manager, but to no avail. Windows says it cannot find a better driver and the device is working properly, but the playing speed of DVD-5 and DVD-9 is slower.

Has anyone got a solution to this problem?

2. Hawkest

Hawkest I got some 4GB new RAM

Have u checked the settings for the dvd drive through device manager to see if its got a speed setting same with which ever media player your using?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

3. Reitau

Reitau WizD Rawks

Goto device manager (Right Click My Computer Icon, Manage, Device Manager) look for '!' marks on any Sata or IDE devices in the list, also look in the Secondary IDE Controller which usually has a problem on EasiNotes with iTunes installed.

The quick solution is to uninstall the ATAPI Virtual Drive software from the mahcine, this has to be done in the registry. A quick look on tinterweb found this tutorial. http://www.pchell.com/hardware/cd_drive_error_code_39.shtml

Alex.