Case Mod - In Progress Orange Crush.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Vault-Tec, 25 Oct 2023.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

OK not done sod all because human malware. Did a little today, though.

Fitted the cooler and replaced the broken RAM latches with ones taken from an old board I found.

[​IMG]

So the only thing wrong with it now is the single missing (it snapped off) USB3 header pin. Doesn't matter, not using it any way.

[​IMG]

I also began the wiring. I got a bit annoyed at this, as it seems the Cooler Master PSU this was made for has a ton of double wires on the 24 pin. I started tossing them to one side, moaning and mumbling. And then I realised the entire 8 and 6 pin uses 6 double wires. Gosh, I shouldn't have complained lol. I just stole 6 single ones from a 6 pin to replace them with.

[​IMG]

So we now have.... One 24 pin that will work on the ITX PSU, one 8 pin into 6+8 pin PCIE for the GPU and one 8 pin EPS. That only leaves one SATA run to be done and a Molex run. That was almost too easy......

2. Vault-Tec

Weather stopped play. And will continue to do so.

I need it built, though. Basically I want to play Fallout New Vegas at 4k with some mods. Now you would think this would be easy owning three other PCs with very fast GPUs (6800XT, 6900XT and 6950XT). Sadly in reality? the game does not run on them. It stutters badly and it crashes within minutes. I have tried all of the patches and etc but nothing has worked. So, the 980Ti in this? I would bet will run it perfectly even at 4k.

I do have it for console (Xbox) and it does install and work on my 1x, but it doesn't run at 4k and thus it looks horrible.

As such I have decided to use the Lian Li Q58 I have. Only problem I can think of is that the Jonsbo cooler will not work as it will be too tall. And so I bought this.

[​IMG]

As such I may as well just paint and mod the Q58 when the weather isn't so crap. I have had 0 chance to paint anything at all.

3. Vault-Tec

Had another idea to make my life easier.

I remembered that Lian Li sold extra mesh panels. This is because they knew the glass ones made it a hot box. So, I was down to buy a couple more. Then the idea hit me. Why not buy white ones (two lots, so all the case) and then I don't have to try painting mesh (which is hard at best, given it blocks easily with thicker spray paints).

So aye, two sets ordered.

[​IMG]

4. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Computer in a bmx bike, when :idea:

Vault-Tec likes this.
  5. Vault-Tec

Never say never ;)

6. Vault-Tec

Panels got.

[​IMG]

That was quick. Viva OCUK.

Cooler isn't coming til this evening though. Not Viva Amazon :(

Still, I need to create me a hacked Win 11 stick any way. So I can get on with that in a bit.

7. Vault-Tec

OK so the PC is now built. Past few days I was just waiting on parts etc, and thus just did small things like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the time the cooler came I was so desperate and bored (waiting on deliveries) that I just put it together and sorted it. I had to hack the Win 11 installer with Rufus to make it work without TPM, but other than that there weren't many headaches. Sadly because of my desperation to play FONV I didn't get any more photos until it was done.

I present, the temporary skunk !

[​IMG]

Hilariously I think it actually looks rather nice :D I then spent the rest of the evening playing FONV, which did indeed work beautifully. I will get some more photos later of the innards and etc.

8. c0nstruct

c0nstruct What's a Dremel?

Nice, that's a lot of cable for a SFX though isn't it?

9. Vault-Tec

It is but it works. I'm about 60 hours into FONV now on it so haven't done anything else to it. I still have all of the paint etc though, if winter ever ends.

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Hush! This is the first complete, proper Spring this area has had in a decade. I don't want you cooking my new azaleas. :lol: