1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Origami.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by warchild, 10 Mar 2006.

1. warchild

warchild What's a Dremel?

2. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

yea origami has been in the news loads over the last couple of days :p

3. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Yeah, it's simply a term used by Microsoft for the new UMPCs that a lot of manufacturers are showing off at Cebit this week running a version of Windows Tablet edition. They spec at around 900mhz-1gb with 256-512mb ram and 40gb hdds. They look like a good idea, filling a gap between the PDA and the laptop/full sized tablet, but their true usefulness will only be determined by their price if you ask me. If they turn out to cost more than £500, most people will just decide that a laptop is far more practical what with a built-in keyboard a twice the screen size. Although the UMPcs do fill a gap in the market, they've got to fill it well and prove that the gap needed filling in the first place! Another concern is that the initial models released by Samsung, Asus etc aren't that inspiring in terms of aesthetics- a factor which affects decisions incredibly these days, and most people will be looking towards Sony/Apple to provide a 'benchmark' in terms of visual appeal.

<A88>

4. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Damnit A88, you took all the fun out of me explaining much of anything. Still, I can mention stuff;

Currently, the prototypes offer 15 minutes of battery life on a full charge. Theyre designed to be an easy handheld computer that performs the functions of a laptop, with some of the convenience of the tablet PC, but has the portability of the Nintendo DS.

5. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Dang it... I was hoping for a lot more than that. No CD-rom drive, no keyboard, no battery life... And I had such high expectations for the Origami, too.

6. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I can get Alan to dress up as a nurse next time if you like?

<A88>

7. dsgirl

dsgirl What's a Dremel?

literary i know how what is origami but is it already out on ds?

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Origami is not a game. It is a (kind of) portable PC. It has nothing to do with the Nintendo DS.

9. dsgirl

dsgirl What's a Dremel?

oh sorry, i thought it's a japanese term for paper works or something...

10. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

It is - it's just what they chose to call this project as well, presumably because it's meant to be paper-thin (although reality is fairly detached from that vision).

11. dsgirl

dsgirl What's a Dremel?

... so it can be on ds?

12. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

So no. It is not a game. It is a hardware device (much like a computer can't be 'ran' on a ds - I know that makes no sense but it's equal with asking if origami can run on a ds!!!). :wallbash:

13. Nexxo

OK, from the top: Origami is the Japanese name for the art of making shapes (usually of animals or flowers) by folding pieces of paper. It's one of those Japanese things: a simple principle, elevated through intricate skill and complexity to an art form.

Origami is also the name Microsoft has given to their new Ultra-Mobile PC (UMPC). Presumably to create associations with something small, intricate and artfully beautiful (they wish).

So it has nothing to do with the nintendo DS. Nothing at all. They are two different things. Entirely unrelated. Like bananas and kittens. OK?

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

[​IMG]

I wouldnt say, entirely unrelated.

15. Nexxo

I hate you.

:p

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

:hehe: Nice one Bindi

17. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

lmao, awesome post!

18. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

muahahahahaha, bindi that was pure greatness.

19. dsgirl

dsgirl What's a Dremel?

harsh people...=( , is it true that Lara Croft of psp will be coming to the DS?

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I really think you're asking on the wrong forum, miss. You see, this is hardware and overclocking. Now, unless you can overclock a DS or strap a nice big fan to it most people wont know Im afraid. You can try the gaming forum, create a thread "DS in it's entirity" which could be soley about DS' and id imagine you'd be a happy bunny. Or, a banana kitten, which ever twoodles your noodle. :):)

I *am* curious though. (honestly): Do you do anything other than play/talk/live on your DS?? It's just because you've put down you're 21 and 21 y/o's are usually too drunk, bumming around or broke to play so many games. :):):)