1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Origen X15e HTPC case

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 2 Aug 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

you could prob build your own for a fraction of the price...

3. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

That's insanely overpriced IMO, also what good is a touch screen tft on a HTPC case which is supposed to be tucked under your TV & operated via infared remote? It's also too big but I guess that's down to personal taste. Good review though.

4. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

:clap: A T.V. beneath a T.V...........wow, whatever next?

5. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

Putting a TV under all that :D

6. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

I kinda agree, its a funny feature, but really, i dint see how you would use it (plus you have to be near the case, plus bright screens like that are going to be annoying while viewing)

But on the flip side, touch screen LCD's are quite expensive ....

7. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

I actually have one of these cases, and while it is grossly over-priced, it's actually incredibly useful. Forget any idea of using it as a Media Center PC for recording TV, as that's not what it's really good for. Instead, I have it in my hi-fi rack as a lossless audio jukebox. The touchscreen means you can just touch your album cover and play whatever you want, and you don't need to have a mouse plugged into your hi-fi either (which would look stupid).

Of course, you could build one yourself for much less money, but unless you were expertly skilled with a Dremel (or had access to a CNC machine), you'd be hard pushed to produce something with as clean a finish. You're basically paying for someone to take out the hard work for you here; whether it's worth £465 is up to you. I don't think it is in terms of what you physically get, but I found it was worth paying for somethign that does the exact job I want.

With some quiet cooling and a Sound Blaster X-Fi, my hi-fi PC is absolutely awesome, particularly with the Electric Sheep screensaver running on the touchscreen. Any of my mates who come round always remark about how cool it is, and ask where they can get one from.

Then again, I have no interest in TV or recording with a PC, so I suppose it depends on your priorities.

8. TGImages

TGImages Grandpa

What about the glowing blue button on the front?

I've noticed that devices with the Blue LEDs seem to be much more noticeable in a dark room than green or red LED devices. I wonder, for those who have tried this case, if that was a problem or not?

9. yahooadam

usually because those blue LED's are the ultra bright variety, just because the manufacturers are too damn lazy to find something that really works with their product

10. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

Nice review, lovely case. Tad overpriced though, it would probably be more rewarding to build your own with a lilliput LCD.

Noticed on the review you mentioned there was no front firewire, but in the picture there was a firewire socket next to the two USB sockets?

11. Soncetina

Soncetina What's a Dremel?

cool case, YEa its over priced but its damned pretty...

Course it is for recording off tv, its made to have a computer in it and computers can be made to do anything...

For my money id just make one, I just looked up touch screens and found an 8 inch at £189, maybe £100 of alu at absolute most and your set...

As for having no use for the screen, so what? soooo many people put ps-one screens on the front of their computers and hat are they for? just to look good mainly.

Wonder how hard it would b to fit W/C in there?

12. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

The problem comes in with what other people have been mentioning...it's bright. If you put this under your tele, you'll have a very distracting little 7" screen glowing away like it's christmas right while you're watching a dark movie. Same thing with the bright blue ring.

As stated by arcticstoat, it is useful for some things...but for an HTPC, it's not a very good choice, sadly.

By the way, cats and dogs LOVE sniffing around glowey touch-screens that smell like human fingers... :) just a note to anyone looking to put this at pet-level.

13. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

Thats a delightfully overpriced piece of kit and it is gorgeous but of course I wouldn't pay that much for any case.... even if it talked to me, which would just be creepy but thats another story...
    I have a HTPC and I just got a Zalman HD 160B, it is expensive but not compared to the Origen and I wouldn't use the screen any way...
    And the Zalman is a much better design IMO

14. trifin

trifin What's a Dremel?

thats a great use for one - i LOVE the look of them just haven't been able to think of a use for one :)

i am surprised you don't use a bit perfect sound card if you are really into your music ;)

15. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Does anyone know if SLi is supported in this case?

16. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

seems a bit gimmicky to me to be honest...when you can get a remote, why would you get up to use the touchscreen?

17. yahooadam

well it takes a full size ATX mothboard, so yes

cases arent what makes a computer SLI compatable, its the motherboard, if the motherboard wont fit in the case then you wont have your computer in the case .....

18. Reins

Reins What's a Dremel?

I wish they would make a model of this case with out a touch screen it's a great case.

19. sl1xx

sl1xx What's a Dremel?

There is no poin in that screen it's just novelty and i think the price is a rip off !

20. Stwongbad

Stwongbad What's a Dremel?

I guess if your cheap enough...you could always watch the movie on that little screen?...but then why bother with this expensive novelty if your cheap anyways!

Tags: Add Tags