1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding (OT) Modding is expensive!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by KingofHearts, 12 Oct 2004.

1. KingofHearts

KingofHearts What's a Dremel?

I went to Home Depot to pick up some things for a project ive been planning. I dont intend to start until i have everything on hand and have all the plans worked out.

Maybe 5 hours later I leave HD. Its a good thing that store isnt open 24 hours id be in trouble. I have 50% of the materials I need for my case and im in 75 dollars in already.What the heck people need to add a little warning sign saying warning modding can get expensive. It creeps up on ya too. If you thiink your case design will cost 40 it will end up more like 80. I think its some kind of natural mode law someone didnt warn me about.

This will be my first mode, but I definatly think after its done any future mods will be just using materials I have on hand. (im getting that creepy feeling again it would still end up costing me)

2. inzane86

inzane86 engineer with an axe

I have moded 2 PC-s for about 20$ :p that was the money for the paint... and the windows i got from an old storage. some old plexi but it was clean.
    Used the tools i had at hand, Disk cutter , files and hacksaw...

3. dannyqball

dannyqball What's a Dremel?

I agree with you but I have to admit it's totally worth it. No matter how much I spend I'm going to end up with a system that is unique and it's all mine. My problem is that it takes so long. I don't have the funds to just go out and purchase everything I need for a project so I have started finding stuff around the house or friends that are trashing old systems and giving me the left overs.
    Either way, I'm a modder for life. I guess in my perspective we all have to have a hobby. It keeps me out of trouble.

4. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

It does sometimes scare me, being 14 with an allowance of £30 a month! I've saved up £125 over the summer for a Lian Li, and thats literally all I could without dipping into my £100 bank account! But you're right. It is scary, even if it is worth it! For my next project I'm going to budget out whats needed, double that, then save up a lot more than that amount!

_C

5. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

rough total of mods for my pc:

CM Case w/ sleeved case cables and window side panel: ~ $200
    PSU (sleeved) : $130
    All LED fans : $50
    Round Cables: $20
    Coolermaster Hyper-6 Heatsink: $50
    Sleeved neon kit $20
    Total: $470

This is all on top of what i paid for the pc originally a few months before. (antec sonata: nice case, little potential, too hot, way too heavy)

If you havent seen it yet the link is in my sig

6. frag_daddy_2007

frag_daddy_2007 What's a Dremel?

yeah it does get pretty expensive, i spent 45 on plexi for two projects and 550 total on my ammo case.....its still way too cool to worry about cost tho

7. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

I have spent ~200 on tools and materials, I had nothing to start with though, so the money for tools adds up quick

8. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

Tablesaw: $100USD

Router table: $120

Dremel with every conceivable bit: $80

Drillpress with machining vice: $140

Telling the (future) wife you need these things for making a wedding arbor (and not case modding): Priceless

:hip:

9. Redd_Herring_1974

Redd_Herring_1974 What's a Dremel?

yer definatly right it is an expensive addiction :thumb:

10. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

i bought one serious tool for modding recently

a haas mini-mill ~ $30,000

other than that

table saw ~ $150

dremel & accessories ~$140

jigsaw ~$80

welder/torch ~$1,000

i've yet to want to tally up costs on modded machines, as it gets ridiculous

11. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

yes modding is expensive :~{

which is why iv picked up web design very slowly it oozes allong... so im still stuck on allowance from the rents $3.50 a week :waah:

BTW: hazer nice visa take off :thumb:

12. ShockSonic

ShockSonic What's a Dremel?

with a mini mill you can fabricate your own parts. Still I hope that it was not bought just for modding, but for some 'business' use?

13. Davedude

Davedude What's a Dremel?

lol, that's comical! GET A JOB, or just work cleaning ur house... or doing stuff around town! $3.50 isn't enough for a snack rather modding :duh:

I've spent a ton on tools so far :sigh: And I continue to buy more and more and more :worried: :grr:

14. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

lol. Im 13 and know alot of cheap places to get modding supplies..

15. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

I know what you mean... I came back from HD myself and walked away with about $140 worth of stuff...here's a tip. When modding find some friends who are doing the same and go in on things like Plexiglass and wires etc...
    After a while you start to know where to get cheap stuff (True electronic component stores VS. your garden variety Radio Shack that charge and arm and a leg).

16. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Im in the process of building a carbon fiber themed case
    aprox $3000 worth of carbon fiber
    $500 WC system
    all in all this case will be valued ay about 4grand

(I know what you are thinking, *what an idiot!* but, my father owns several major Carbon Fiber Maufacturing plants, so that part was free)

17. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

Well my modding tools themselves havent gotten over $200. I get to use all the household tools my father has acquired over the past 30 years. So all i had to get was a dremel and even that was an x-mas present. All I personally paid for was lotsa plexi and dremel bits.

Now that I have a car im going to keep for a long time i get the feeling that the next $3000+ i make over this winter from my job will be put right into my car.
    (im not a f&f fanboy, the first one sucked) but i do plan on putting rims, lip kit, and vertical doors on my car. Along with the headlights i just cleared earlier today ill put on eyelids and a toyota altezza style grill. then new paint and she will be all good. /rant

18. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

The amount of money you spend depends on which kind of mod you're doing.
    Asethic mods are the most expensive ones.

I see no need to get everything at once, I've been modding my case for more than 2 years, I keep spending money and doing new mods little by little.
    When I get some money or if I have a new idea, I try to improve my PC a lil bit more.

19. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

I certainly hope that is CNC, as the 3-axis CNC mill our school has cost about that much, and it has a nice travel range. I would love to have a CNC mill in my basement.

20. bbigboy101011

bbigboy101011 What's a Dremel?

a little tip for you buget, garage sales, they work wonders, my whole stero, $5, try it some time,except for the internal components everything from cases to materals are CHEAP.