Graphics Overclocking an EVGA 6200 PCIE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deejay2d, 11 Sep 2006.

1. Deejay2d

Deejay2d What's a Dremel?

I know the first reaction to this thread is going to be, "Why bother? Upgrade that POS!". I am going to upgrade more than likely by the end of the year ( kind of waiting to see if NVIDIA is going to squeeze something new in by the end of the year, as well as waiting for the right time financially) Meanwhile, I am running this EVGA GeForce 6200 128Mb PCIE ( no turbo-cache :yawn: ) I have used Rivatuner to push it from 350/525 to a whopping 565/570, with little performance boost. I have heard something about possibly being able to soft mod it to a 6600 by oping up the extra 4 pipelines. Anybody know anything about that? I know that I'm not going to be able to turn this thing into a 7600 or anything, or even a 6800 for that matter, but I want to squeeze all I can out of it. I am not opposed to doing some radical modding to the heatsink/fan/cooler. The card was given to me some time ago and since I am going to be replacing it very soon, I honestly couldn't care less it I fried the thing to a crisp. ( Actually if I did blow it up, that would probably force me to stop waiting around and just make a choice on my upgrade :hehe: . So, if anyone has any tips or radical cooling/modding ideas let me know. I'd appreciate any help!

Last edited: 11 Sep 2006
  2. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

ROFLS

sry for the useless post :)

3. bubsterboo

Yea, though.. i know your feeling... i had a 9200se once... i shoved a huge heatsink on it and oced it till it couldent be oced any more. I also researched the internet for bios mods to get more performance out of it. Anyways, i personally dont know of any Bios mods for your card. If I were you I would voltmod it and shove some bigger heatsinks on it, or find a better way of cooling it.

4. bubsterboo

5. Deejay2d

UPDATE
    Last night, after posting this, I searched around for info on OCing 6200's. I found an article similiar to that one about opening the extras pipes. I took a look at my external hard drive, and found Rivatuner just sitting there. I had forgotten all about it, as I downloaded it while on my Mom's PC, before I had mine up and running. Anyway, as fate would have it, the card I have lacks the Turbo Cache, which turns out to be a goog thing because I guess you can't do this little trick on the TC version. Got the pipes open for a total of 8 pixel pipelines. As far as the overclocking, I get mixed results. Compared to others I have seen, I can get much more out of my core and less out of my mem. I top out at a OC of 565/570, where the biggest I've heard of is about 450/675. Don't know whats up with that. Anyhoo, I ran it through 3DMark 05 and gained about 400 for a score of 1560. Still really pathetic but an increase nontheless. An odd thing though, is before doing this pipeline trick and OCing, I have been playing a demo of BF2 and I can get pretty decent framerates and smooth gameplay if I set everything to low. But now with the 8 pipelines, I am getting some green artifacting that gets pretty horrible sometimes. Don't know, guess maybe there is a reason it only had 4 pipelines enabled. :worried:

6. Deejay2d

Oh yeah, I totally forgot to post this in the last one. Since I opened the pipelines, my card shows up as a NVIDIA 6700 XL. I have searched and I can't find this version anywhere. It is listed on NVIDIA's drivers list under supported cards, but that is the only place I can find it. Weird. I've never heard of any NVIDIA card being branded with "XL". :confused:

7. Deejay2d

BTW: How do I volt-mod it?

Tags: