1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Overclocking, why?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 29 Jul 2016.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have just installed the final component to my upgrade which was the GTX 1080 and given that I have seen much on the subject of Overclocking I thought perhaps I should have another look at this dark art.
    Past experiences have not gone well, I had no luck with my 2500K which it turned out was due to bent pins as BLC has had some success with it.
    I also mess with the BIOS opf a GTX 660 and almost bricked my card but for the help of a guy over on Overclockers.net.

So is it worth overclocking I5 6600K and GTX 1080 and if so can anyone guide me though the process or link to reasonably simple instructions?

2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I have overclocked pretty much every computer I have had since the old Athlon XP days.

Now however I have to say I run my i5 4690K stock in a snazzy Z97 Gryphon Armour. Maybe I am old and boring (or maybe newer intel CPU's run too hot for me to be bothered....)

GPUs I have always run stock, never seen to get much return from them in my experience for the hassle it can bring.

The 1080 is quite a beast but I would imagine a 6600K stock would prob feed it with some to spare.

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

When I was that way inclined, I overclocked pretty much because I could and enjoyed the tinkering. There was a small element of overclocking for performance, sure, but 90% of my desire to do it was fed by the idea that there's untapped resources there, somehow being wasted if I don't overclock. I spent more time tweaking and tinkering with my PC than actually using it.

I'd say, since you're asking the question, probably not worth bothering. I've not overclocked a thing for around 10 years and my life is better for it.

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Looking at gains of only around 10/11% on the GPU I had pretty much come to the same conclusion.

5. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

Haven't overclocked in years, now that its not just a game I play on my PC, I prefer the stability over a 5% CPU increase in a benchmark number.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I don't bother these, days. Not that I'm ruling it out completely in the future. But stability is preferable when I'm not doing anything that would drastically benefit from an overclock.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Sometimes it's just fun to do, does not take long to sort out either and your usually running a lot faster than stock for less voltage. Auto volts on Intel boards sets the CPU into the 1.35 to 1.4vcore range on most platforms. That's 0.25 over the level my CPU needs for stock.

My stock 6700k needs 1.15vcore to be stable at stock. To take that to 4.5ghz is a 0.1 increase to 1.25vcore, Temps are still going to be less than what the auto settings would give you.

Chip goes down to 0.75 at idle and 700mhz which is fun.

8. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Same as guys here, I wouldn't do it. In last 3-4 years I noticed almost no advantage in OCing gpu or cpu. Maybe I'm getting old, but to be honest, it was fun back in a days, where I shared my results with uni friends, watercool stuff etc. Nowadays I run my 4670K in stock and if my budget let me, I buy factory OCed graphics card.
    If I'm going to upgrade in the future I may just go with regular cpu, non K version, however prices are so close to eachother then it's shame not to throw few more pennies to get that K.. why not! :)

Short answer - naah, no point, stock is good enough:)

9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

IMO overclocking really peaked when technology was at 45nm, so later Core2 and early Core i7 era. I still run my X5650 at a pretty big overclock (2.8GHz stock) and for me it's no longer about tinkering; I just like to know my rig is running as fast as it can.

Nowadays (and for a while now IMO) particularly Intel's architecture has been so efficient that overclocking is pointless. I'd say the same for GPUs... it's more of a fun thing to do if you're into competitive benching, but it's not really relevant to daily use.

10. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

If your kit is tip-top and right up to date then there's probably no point over clocking it (yet). Give it a couple of years.

11. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

i would tend to agree with not o/cing the GPU for most workloads as the gains are typically minimal -

- a few fps isn't important imho since it's not that the gameplay itself is quicker or slower; just the no of frames displayed...

- whilst a small no of tasks in things like Premiere & AE, or using Handbrake, can be GPU accelerated, the card you've got is at the point where there's nothing much to be gained - vs a much lower spec card

- & if you had a really niche usage then you'd have mentioned it... ​

- however with the CPU it's very much dependent upon what you're doing.

Well, if, for example, a task is (or a combination of tasks are) peaking at 100% CPU usage (on 1 or more threads depending upon how multithreaded a process is, or not) for up to a few seconds then, unless this was causing a noticeable stutter which materially worsened your experience, any gains would be negligible as there's only a few seconds that time can be shaved off...

...however if you have a task where it's at 100% usage for an hour straight then the gains can obviously be more meaningful - since you're obviously looking at knocking a %age off of a total wait time of an hour.

[NB if you're never hitting 100% then it'd be pointless to o/c for r.l. performance purposes - it's then just to show off.]​

it's then up to the individual as to where the cut off points are - so if you regularly had a 10 minute task (esp if this is repeated in a single day) that can be knocked down to, say, 8 minutes by o/cing & you'd be sat twiddling your thumbs waiting to get onto the next task then it could materially benefit your experience...

...whereas it could conversely be the case that a daily 8 hour task is better to be set to run whilst you're asleep - even if you could o/c & knock it down to, say, 7 hours.

So, imho, saying either yes or no to CPU o/cing isn't a valid answer, as it's up to the individual to look at their usage & decide if it will materially benefit them or not.

Last edited: 29 Jul 2016
  12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Bans for everyone here not overclocking!

In all seriousness, I've overclocked my CPU and GPU - why the hell wouldn't you. Took me a few hours to find a nice stable OC on the CPU, and get definite benefits in Mechwarrior Online where its very single thread limited.

GPU wise, again, why not, easy to do, and once you find a stable OC, you lock it in and job done. Allows me to stay at 90fps in the Rift in ED while pushing up my supersampling to 1.5.

Its literally free performance for a few hours of fiddling with settings.

13. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Solely with the GPU, would you significantly notice the difference between, say, 90fps & 85fps (we're not talking about 90fps vs 50fps are we?) - vs the extra heat, fan noise & power consumption?

(i don't know if you're water cooling or not - if you are then it'd primarily limit the negatives to power consumption of course)

Maybe it's just me that doesn't really value relatively minor increments in fps?

14. alfizzle

alfizzle Ooh aah just a little bit..

This tbh! :) If you are new to overclocking or haven't dabbled for a while and you can read + follow simple instructions then you can overclock pretty much anything these days as all the info you need is on the internet. plenty of easy to follow guides out there for the noob's. :D

Free performance?... YES PLEASE :D

15. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I know that at its stock speed of 2.8GHz my old CPU just wouldn't play the games I want it to and I'd have had to upgrade it a long time ago. At 4GHz though it's still just about hanging in there. :)

If you keep your kit tip-top and up to date though (unlike me) then the benefits of over clocking will be less, because the kit is already more than capable out of the box. For a while at least. :)

Last edited: 29 Jul 2016
  16. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

If you buy a intel k processor then you should be looking to overclock it, Get 4.6 at 1.32v with mine no issues (i7-6700k). And its not like overclocking of old you are just clocking the turbo boots with a adaptive voltage. So the processor will clock down to 800mhz when not needed.
    I put a +200mhz boost on my watercooled GTX 1080 and let GPU boost do the rest. It will boots itself to 2.1ghz core with no issues.

RAM I do not bother overclocking (unless you class sticking the xmp profile in), and I'm more careful with clocking vram on a GPU, I never push that as far as the chip.

With the above setup overclocking does help bring closer to 4k 60fps with everything maxed, without you turn a few things down just to stop it going under to much.

To each there own at the end of the day though.

17. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

I OC my 970 coz i found some games my FPS drops below 60.... and a wee bit of browsing how succesfful others are, i just installed Afterburner and use the same settings. Not even half n hour and I gained some good FPS.

I OC my CPU because... well.... My Z97 ASUS asked for it (hey, wanna OC? click here), so i clicked the button, answered a few questions, the PC rebooted, and set me up a comfy 4.3Ghz. So why not?

I reckon with your setup, u wont even bother with the 1080. But CPU might wanna run the mobo "tweaker". most mobo has them. the smart/auto overclock function.

i mean, why the hell not?

18. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I have not bothered overclocking my 4790k or my 2 GTX980Ti's simply because of temp's.

The problem for me is ambient room temperature which hit's up to 38c when gaming on my pc, with a window open and two large fans blowing air out the window, 1 fan sat at the front of the pc and the other sat at the back of it.

As it is my pc offers decent performance in games when they are optimised properly and whilst overclocking would help in some games honestly I couldn't deal with the extra heat currently.

19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I always overclocked my CPU but hardly ever my GPU. Reason being I had a GPU die on me in the past and it was aggro to sort out. That wasn't really down to anything other than it being a failed card sold on the cheap with lower clocks.

I bought a 3970x last year and overclocked it to 4.9ghz on a H110. It was incredible. Seriously this thing swatted aside any 5820k. Problem was 11 months in my board died. It would only run a clock of 1.1ghz when you put it under load indicating that the fets had died maintaining the enormous clocks I had on it.

Since then I have been much more conservative (it sucks because it was fully stable too :( ) and now have a measly overclock on my CPU and have just removed the one from my GPU to see if it makes a difference.

It definitely shortens component life IMO and that's exactly what the manus want. If you kill something overclocking it you (well at least I would) feel bad about it and just buy a new one.

20. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

So when we are talking about OC CPUs - can you tell me what did you achieve by OCing your cpu?
    Like for example games - can you give a sample of stock vs OCed CPU and difference in fps in some game you play?