1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Overclocking Woes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maple, 10 Jun 2012.

1. maple

maple Minimodder

i only overclocked the core clock by 25mhz and memory clock by 100mhz i tried overclockimng the memory clock higher before but i got blue screens each time

2. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Since when has overclocking not voided your warranty? Admittedly I could be wrong as I haven't read my gfx manual ever.

The thing is, if there is an indication that you have (i.e. flashed the bios), then you will be sitting on a voided warranty. I think it's only because you can't prove what has been done to the card that it has to be treated as a normal, it's just busted all by itself return.

But yeah, I'd return it to the seller, not xfx. They should sort it out and swap it over. Unless it's fine, in which case you might need to start looking up why you are getting those blue screens.

For me, the last time I got bluescreens was a dodgy driver install. Once I had removed the installation and started again from afresh, it was good to go again.

Try looking through your error logs if you can get into windows normally.

3. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

I think EVGA allows overclocking on at least some of their cards maybe MSI as well.

4. maple

maple Minimodder

Update:

So far haven't done anything about this yet been spending more time on putting together a budget pc, this gpu i got it from Ebuyer. Ebuyer are no good when things go wrong

5. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Are you saying that you have tried to rma the card?

What did you say to them?

6. maple

maple Minimodder

haven't tried to rma as have no idea what to say if i say getting lower fps and then they 'est' it and say its fine then i have to end up paying the expsensive postage aswell, there was a guy on here who got a card from ebuyer which had worse problems than mine and ebuyer told him that there was no problem

7. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Don't RMA the card to Ebuyer. RMA the card to the manufacturer. Simple.

8. maple

maple Minimodder

in same thread told to not to rma to xfx and to retailer now opposite, XFX are very bad aswell, if i do to either what shall i say?

9. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Make a decision and return it. Or hold on to it until it is out of warranty and put it somewhere out of site so you stop glaring at it when you are at your PC thinking, I wish I'd just ****ing returned it and got my money back. :wallbash

Seriously, you are going to have to return it if it isn't behaving itself. I can't be bothered to re-read the whole thread, but if you've checked it on other machines and fresh windows installs and it isn't performing as expected, return it.

Just because you heard someone had a bad experience doesn't mean you will also. If it has been a short time, you can always say that it doesn't do what it was supposed to do and has been miss sold. Although I'd check with teh online sales guru guy that crops his head up now and then to talk about distance selling regulations.

10. maple

maple Minimodder

the reason im not returning is it may end up costing me more money returning it and them saying nothing wrong so ive lost out more

11. Tribble

Tribble Steals Avatars

ebuyer will pick it up, no charge and if found faulty and under six months old you should get a full refund. i think you may have to foot shipping if it is found to not be faulty.

i've had two xfx cards fail, so not keen on buying with them again, mind i do have a xfx be 5850 still running fine.

i found xfx support for my xfx be 5970 and 5870 very polite and helpful and they did offer me money off a new card which they didn't have to do.

ebuyer has given me a partial refund of 70% which is good if i'd ever had any proper use out of it which i didn't, so going to argue it a bit more.