1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos [P] Body Lines

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Hwulex, 26 Aug 2007.

1. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

For those that haven't seen my entry for this month or my Flickr, these are two pics that came from the shoot for this month's POTM. The second one I've entered. I thought I'd stick 'em both in another thread for [hopefully] a bit of critique about/between the two and general help on portraiture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the few shots we did yesterday, I was unsure which to enter. I liked both for different reasons but the missus came round this avo to see them finished for the first time and said she preferred the first one.

I'm not sure. I like the subtle details on the first shot which is what I was hoping for when shooting. The strap coming down from her left shoulder, and the slight sidelight accentuating the curvature beneath it. Also the small silhouetted ruffle on her right shoulder, and that you can see her eyelashes. But whilst these are nice, I don't think they're theme related.

I think the second shot works better for the theme. Yes, in her words it's a "bit more slutty" but I think it also better demonstrates the beautiful curving lines of the female form whilst having the contrasting straight parallel lines as the backdrop.

2. RTT

RTT #parp

hah, err, 'nice' ? :naughty:

3. OleJ

OleJ Me!

In #2 - A beautiful abdomen, but I think the breasts have been pushed too hard. They actually look better in the first shot.
    I think my primary point of critique would be lack of space, as I find them a bit too compact (the compositions, not the breasts :D ).
    The contrast between the lines and the curves is a really great idea! I like that.
    Would it have been possible to avoid the black bar between the blinds? E.g. shooting in front of just the one. (Like in the first shot).
    I would agree with your missus in that the first one is a whole lot more stylish and has more personality.

Cheers!

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Too dark. The pictures are just indistinct silhouettes against a distracting stripey background.

I would have taken the pictures from almost the opposite direction (or at least a line of sight parallel to the blinds), letting the stripes of light play over her body, accentuating curves and shapes ("lines and curves"?).

Alternatively, less contrast and more light, so you can see the person's facial expression and get some connection (like here, for instance).

5. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Unfortunately not. Pic one only gives that illusion because she's stood in front of the window post. They're quite slim windows.

I see what you're saying. But, having said that, I don't think your link is the best example. The blinds are a bit... dishevelled and, I dunno, something about the shot looks a little snapshot-ish. I see what you're getting at, however, and I did take some shots like those with more lighting on the model but I felt that for this particular image the largely silhouetted figure allowed the strength of lines to come through rather than distracting from that theme. However, I may try and PP one a bit more like that.

Hopefully people's monitors allow them to see the subtle edge highlights in the second pic; around her abdomen, right arm against the window post, her neck, and the curve of the right... side of her chest. ;)

I like the idea of shooting from the opposite angle where the strips are cast as shadows over the body. I'd have like to have tried that but time didn't permit. Something I may try another time. Thanks :)

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2 for certain. It's not sluttly, it's a fantastic artistic representation of a classic female pose. If she had thrown her head back it would have been "look at my breasts", but in that it offers more in the way of innocence.

7. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

I like them both a lot. I like the first because there is a definite face shown, yet it is still almost mysterious. However, I prefer the light and shadows on the model's body better in number two. All in all nice work.

Tags: