p3 psu to p4?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by inanimous, 13 Jan 2005.

1. inanimous

inanimous What's a Dremel?

i dunno if this should be in here or in the electronics part but here goes:
    it turns out we had in the office, an old case brand new from the box thats never been used - and apparently never will. so my boss said i could have it.
    first of all, the case is a big heavy black NEC wierd devil. it took me 10 mins just to figure out how to open the damn thing (you have to take apart these slides on the bottom and then pray a bit and then push off some other part - nm ugly business. even though in the end, it looks pretty sleek and solid.
    so anyhow, unfortunately theres a brand new p3 psu inside. so what am i looking at here basically? i dont really want to spend money on a new psu, is there some mod or something that i can do so that i get the additional connector to the motherboard (the little square one) - or are all the currents and wiring completely different. i know the main connector has to be the same since new p4 psus fit p3 mbs. isnt the 4pin 12v just like a molex but shaped like a square? i could pbbly look at the mb manual to see the wiring but i dont know that the resistance/ampudance/whatever you call it is right.
    10x! plz help! :sigh:

2. inanimous

ok i did some reading and it seems the schematics are pretty simple. its just two 12v and two grounds. well then ill just have to find one of those 4pin connectors and make it. wonderful. will post mod if not burn down house

3. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

Do you really want to risk frying a new P4 board with an ATX connector which has been modified by someone who isn't competant with electronics?

Also, being a P3 PSU it probably won't have enough juice to power a P4 system - The last PSU I saw out of a P3 system was something akin to ~200w and considering Prescotts need that to tick over* :hehe: i'd just buy a new PSU :)

* May not be totally true

4. inanimous

ok i thought about it a bit, and ended up not modding the p3 psu, cus i figured it pbbly is pretty weak - even though it looks not bad at all (two fans etc.) anyhow i think i'll go a bit off topic and post some pics of the new/old (it's brand new what was manufactured a few years ago just sat in the box) and maybe ill get some ideas.