1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P4@4114MHz!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by djgizmo, 23 May 2002.

1. djgizmo

djgizmo 1337 pimp

2. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

its a P4...that says it all....

3. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

and its still slower than a 933MHz PIII, ;)

4. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

when will people learn?

just get an amd chip - much better.

5. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Clock for clock the P4 is a poor performer, but as an overclocker I would certainly consider a Northwood.......most 1.8s easily overclock to 2.5Ghz+, and at that speed it will certainly beat the highest AMD chips for performance. If the high end AMD chips clocked as well then the XP would be the winner, but sadly the XP1900s and above dont seem to clock well at all. You need a vapochill to get close to 2Ghz :eeek: which really doesnt compare when a Vapochill plus P4 1.8 can hit 2.7Ghz with total stability unless the chip is really poor.

6. ViperZ

ViperZ What's a Dremel?

Clock for clock, theres the rub. The AMD XP -T'bred architecture has hit it's ceiling in clock speed and really can't keep up to the P4 which is suppose to scale to 3Ghz.

The new 533Mhz bus Northwood really leaves the 2100+XP behind... The T'bred better have some realworld clock speed improvements if it's to remian competitive.

Full Story here

If I had the cash I would have built a P4.

Last edited: 23 May 2002
  7. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

It has to be said, i think it still depends on what you want to use the PC for! the P4 certainly has its uses these days, but AMD still has a fantastic reputation with the overclocking community (even if the P4 goes that High!) It sure is a hard call when deciding on a new CPU these days!:eeek:

8. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

i guess it depends whether you got the cash or not....

9. djgizmo

djgizmo 1337 pimp

i don't really know about that, but it ain't bad anyway, and it oughtta run most current games just fine!
    no really i'm an AMD man too! you have to overclock a P4 to get your moneys worth, and even though the fastest processor on the planet is currently an intel, you don't need that much power for anything, and it costs like hell anyway.
    so instead of getting say a P4 1600, go for an Xp1800 which still costs about the same (or less) and a quiet cooler, and you've got yourself a nice little machine!
    i currently have three duron 800's, one 700 duron, one Xp 1800, and a P3 677 coppermine at home, so don't go blaming me for crimes i didn't commit (beeing an intel fan).
    i used ta be an intel man, but then my cousin got a duron 700, and had it running stablly at 900 all the time, and then one day (august 2nd last year) i met this dude who had his 800 duron running at 1800, cooled by a peltier, and a coolemaster cheapo(15£). i had been enlightened, and i've never bought an intel since! sadly, my dad is thinking of going into the P4 laptop range next!:cries: :cries: :cries:

10. JADS

I've been an Intel fan for a loooong time, first got hooked when I saw a 386 in action, then got a 486 system all of my own (no el cheapo copies, :)), then marvelled when friends got a top class Pentium 75MHz machine, then looked wistfully at the reviews of the Pentium MMXs, before finally getting my hands on a PII 266 (O/C to 300MHz, :)). I upgraded to a Celeron 333, because I could, :) Then I watched again as the Pentium 3 came along and didn't do much, then the Coppermine (which is good, but no match for an Athlon) and then in utter dissapointment as the Pentium 4 came along. Someone gave me a Celeron 400, which was pretty good and eventually I bought a Celeron 766 instead (really not vroom!)...

Intel really should look up the words Research, Development and Complacency in the dictionary, :D For me the fact that a 2.53GHz narrowly beats out a 1.667GHz Athlon at 133MHz FSB and gets killed by it at 166MHz FSB just doesn't make me want to go out and buy a Pentium 4. If I pay the premium I want to see it returned in performance.

11. djgizmo

djgizmo 1337 pimp

yuo got a point there. there ain't any point in buying the premium unless you're rich... i mean think, those of us who bought the Ti500 for an extortionate price(which really ain't that much faster than the Ti200) must really be kicking themselves... that is... if they don't have the cash to just go out and buy whatever pc they want now... coz they coulda just bought the Ti200, and put up with the -4fps, and now they'd still have the monneh for a 4200 or 4400...
    and what's even more frustrating is when people pay for power they don't even use... like my friend who bought a Ti200 for his P3 500... in the hopes that he'll upgrade sometime...
    and then i'm stuck with my XP 1800 with a TNT2 and 19inch 900NF... i even have a 959 NF which will take up to 2048 resolutions but i don't have a 3d card which will go even close to that!
    and then, there's the ppl who buy a 2000£ pc for surfing on the internet... simply coz they imagine they won't have to upgrade for a long time if they pay twice as much...:grr:
    anyway...getting off topic...not that it really matters that much anyways!:yawn:

12. JADS

When I buy a PC it is essentially for writing documents, web surfing and the odd spot of gaming, but I would always get a comp with specs well beyond what I need because you can't predict what you'll use the PC for, :)

13. ocha

ocha Minimodder

with th new AMD throughbed technology the new AMD chips will kick P4 a$$ twill be wicked

14. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

I tend to disagree with you there m8! If it didn't really matter there would be no point in having a topic in the first place. However, minor deviations could be deemed as acceptable, although I think that the attitude that it doesn't really matter is not!

15. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

[​IMG]

there's mine. 1.6a Northwood at 2.4ghz completely stable. Will run Prime95 for hours without a hitch.......the funniest thing is that I sold my old hardware (xp 1600+, KG7-raid, Crucial DDR) and was able to buy this setup and have money to burn.....

EDIT:that better ? :D

Last edited: 28 May 2002
  16. Sid

Sid Banned

yeh but u listen to N*sync. nuff sed :p

17. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

ROFL Definately Nuff Said :p

18. brwmogazos

brwmogazos What's a Dremel?

Lol...my Project 4 gig will be on its way till september i guess:p

19. Showtime

Showtime What's a Dremel?

WHO TOLD YOU!?!?....
    :p
    -show
    ps:i think its bang for the buck or performance per dollar. my 1.6a cost me $120 US. it came packaged with a msi645ultra mobo for $89 US. got $200 worth of Corsair DDR that you can now find for less. i now run a very stable 2.3 ghz system for under $450(after taxes) in upgrades. FYI need to connect a few pins to raise my cpu voltage and i should be able to break 2.4ghz stable.

20. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

i would really like to see a hsf that would keep up to those speed and heat second of all they r so easy to make in a photo editing software damn why wont u guys learn