1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P4 Mini-ITX Car PC

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by chumbly_warner, 26 Feb 2004.

1. chumbly_warner

chumbly_warner New Member

My dream car is a Bannana yellow porche, but i cant really afford 1. I wanted a internet server and also a lan server for when i host lan partys, so i thought i could put a computer in a model porche shell. I looked at getting a 1Ghz Mini-Itx board from via, but if i was going to spend that kind of money i wanted something a bit faster than that. I was looking on the net when i found a P4 mini-itx motherboard, which will take up to 3Ghz. I just had 2 have 1, so i ordered that and a 80Gig hard disk and 512mb of ram and a 2.4Ghz processor. I went down to my local model shop for the porche shell and the wheels.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then had to figure out how to get it all to fit into the shell of the porche. I got some perspex from my old sixth form college and marked round the shell. Then positioned all of the components so the shell would fit on. I needed to raise the motherboard up so that i could put the powersupply under it, i used some nuts and bolts to hold the motherboard up. I had to take the case off the powersupply to.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am just going to have the pots i need out the back, so i got a wireless keyboard and mouse and mounter the reciever inside the car 2.

[​IMG]

This is where i am at now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I need to spray the shell, get the ard disk mounted, wheels working and then make the headlights come on and the indicators work when the power comes on and when the hard disk is working.

Opinions please. :)

2. Le Tordu

Le Tordu New Member

A 2,4 GHz 996 ! Better than the original Flat 6 ! :hehe:

Got a question ! Won't the heat of the P4 affect the shell ? :geek:

3. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Well, if I'm not mistaken the shell of the car is Lexan, which is (I've found out) a pretty hard plastic. I even had a hard time cutting it. It splinters like heck, and I mean really tiny splinters. More like dust I guess. It's pretty heat resistant, unless you stuff a hardcore OC'd AMD in though ;)

4. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

man thats really cool. What you could do. Is die the whole car in uv blue, then get a uv light inside it. That would look the nuts.

5. Fr0z3n

Fr0z3n New Member

Looks awesome. :rock: I wanna see what you do with this. :)

6. papeniglio

papeniglio Member

OMG, that P4 heatsink seems so huge on a so tiny motherboard!!

BTW nice car.... are you really sure about banana yellow??? :jawdrop:

7. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

I did a car mod a while back and they are very fun :)

What sized shell is that 200mm?

Good luck with it :)

8. raxxo

raxxo New Member

Yup.. that's right... how would a RC racecar withstand the heat from a petrol engine if it's not heatresistant... the engines who runs on nitro that is...

9. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Wow, the shell is bigger than I thought. You should get a model that has a sunroof, and use that as blowhole lol :cooldude:

Keep up the good work! :thumb:

10. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

hey dude! looks like this will be sweet - however - why not make the power LEDs the headlights, and the HDD activity the brake lights?

11. ReFredzRate

That's totally true indeed. I just remembered my old electronic RC car. It had a cooling block for the electronic motor in it. The motor stayed cold, but the block came close to 125 celsius... So Lexan is very heat resistant.

12. Vo0Ds

Vo0Ds Fake potato

Wow that mobo is small, i like the UV idea but i hope you're going to keep the banana yellow :hip:

13. Bentos

Bentos New Member

tis looking pretty good ashers, cant wait to see it in real life over easter, cool.

ooh, those rims are pretty similar to the ones on your corsa, oooh, clever.

just wondering, but there doesnt seem to be any airflow for the stripped PSU, plus its under the mobo, any ideas on cooling it?

Bentos

14. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Thats what I did on mine its quite funky :D

15. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

cool. Also, route a fan to exhaust - so that you can hear a throughty roar when it runs :naughty:

16. _frank`

_frank` New Member

not bad, but a bit too colorful in my eyes ;)
    but keep on your work

17. chumbly_warner

I have now got all of the bits mounted on the perspex, the wheels are on, with the tyres. I just need to find a way of securing the shell on.
    Has any1 got a wireing diagram so i can run about 4 LEDs off of the power led on the motherboard (main lights) and 6 LEDs off the HDD activity 1 on the motherboard (indicators)? Also starting making a plate for the back where the extended ports will be, it will have a coaxial, s-video, monitor out, 1 usb, network and power plugs.
    I will get some pics up 2morrow.

Ashley

18. chumbly_warner

Finally got these pics up, have been busy with coursework.
    Here is the new wireless keyboard & mouse i got 4 the pc, i have mounted the reciever inside.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

opinions?
    I have a 20x4 backlit blue lcd, do u think i should mount it in the windowscreen? :dremel:
    I am getting the shell sprayed, so should be done soon.

Ashley

19. noneuno

noneuno New Member

Very nice. I'd love to see that thing actually be a gas-powered RC car also, but... another mod for another day! Looks very good.

As far as the lcd being in the window, it doesn't look like you have the clearance. Also, the Porche's window is curved, the LCD flat. You'd probably have to cut the window to mount the LCD, and have the LCD coming out of the car a little bit. Not sure how that'd look. :) Nice job so far.

PS I have a car mod project log coming soon... except my server is going in a real car. :naughty:

20. ReFredzRate

Looks pretty sweet! Will the car still be yellow? If yes, what will you be doing to the mouse and keyboard? If no, will you give it the same colors as the mouse and keyboard?

And something else: Are you sure you've got enough airflow for the CPU in there?

Besides those points, you've got a great computer there!!! :rock: