1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P4 Prescott with EM64T?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by squeck, 26 Nov 2004.

1. squeck

squeck Lurker

well i've just gone out and bought a 3.6Ghz Prescott Processor on an Asus P5AD2 Premium Motherboard. The box it came in was a little different to what i was expecting as it says its got EM64T (and is boring black and white not orange and blue :waah: ), anyway have checked this on intel site and it is 64bit enabled.

How do i go about enabling this then? It said on the box that the bios had to be 64bit enabled for the processor to work even in 32bit mode. Have updated my bios to the latest version but there don't seem to be any 64bit options in there but the pc does work fine.

Obviously i'd need a 64bit operating system but any other ideas?

Also as i have a prescott i'm obviously worried by the temp - gets up to 73­C on stock fan when playing doom 3 and the intel site says 72.8C is the limit, but i haven't had any problems as of yet. Has anyone elses burnt out yet?

2. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

64bit is = to vaporware. Even if you had a 64bit OS, what programs do you use that are 64bit? None.

3. SBaig

SBaig What's a Dremel?

Squecko, do not return that thing. Keep it. That is the Pentium 4 3.6F GHz. The F stands for EM64T. It is a 64-Bit processor and all 64-Bit processors are backwards compatible to 32-Bit. You're set for the future so don't return. How much did you pay?

About your temps, you should get an aftermarket heatsink. A cheap one will do. Or if this case doesn't have a case fan, then you should put in a cheap Antec one. It brough my temps down by 10 degrees C once I put in a fan.

4. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Its not a 64bit chip. Its a 32bit chip with 64bit extentions. If you want a real 64bit chip, get an Itanium 2.

5. squeck

squeck Lurker

oh don't worry i certainly wasn't going to return it! yeah its an F model the reference is SL7L9, and i got it from novatech.co.uk i didn't intend to get the 64bit extended one i just ordered a normal P4 560 Processor - cost £280 so an added bonus considering the first one i bought from elsewhere was faulty.

i think i'll probably get an aftermarket fan for the moment, but i might just wait for a bit becuase after i've saved up for a new graphics card i'm considering phase-change cooling. :naughty:

6. squeck

squeck Lurker

as for the itanium 2 - i don't really want a 64bit chip i was just wondering, seeing as i got EM64T on the chip i bought without intending to get it. i think 32bit will do me for quite a while.... :thumb:

7. cysus

cysus What's a Dremel?

Only the upcoming Intel P4 mobo's support EM64T, at this point the processor is the only 64-bit component.

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Are those even released yet?

As for cooling, I'd have to say get a Thermalright XP90 or XP120 with the LGA775 RM thing with a medium speed fan.

Only way to get it to do anything 64bit at this point is the Win64 Beta, but good luck finding software that'll be useful in it, not to mention a stable release.

9. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Isn't EM64T just memory addressing (Extended Memory 64 Technology), and nothing really to do with 64-bit processing? Or am I just getting confused by this fat white paper :confused:

EDIT: dont mind me, but I think I'm just being stoopid

Last edited: 26 Nov 2004
  10. SBaig

SBaig What's a Dremel?

The Fs have been released and they are usually used in server and workstations. They are very hard to find. I wanted one of those to be set for the future but they can work with any LGA775 motherboard so no prob.

11. squeck

squeck Lurker

well i got mine from novatech.co.uk - normal price