1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P4 questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jack, 26 Jan 2005.

1. Jack

Jack Minimodder

Hi guy's

I might be able to get myself a p4 and since ive never owned an intel chip since the old 486 im kinda new to it anyway wanna know if this is a good clocker

P4 3Ghz/512/800
    SL6WK MALAY
    Q430A161

T430A497

Also thats all the detaisl atm im getting about this chip so what model is it and socket??

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Code would suggest socket 478, its a 3ghz p4, 800 fsb, 512k cache... ie P4c :)

Clock wise, 3.5+ should be no problem :)

3. Jack

Jack Minimodder

I also know the back of the chip has 30 caps on it if that helps?

If this is a 3.5Ghz chip what would the difference be between this chip and my current specs??

A64 3000+ @ 2.2/3Ghz
    MSI Neo Plat
    1GB 2x512Mb Crucial Ballistix PC4000
    X800XT PE

Will be watercooled?

Also (soz even more questions) what type of price should i be paying for this second hand?

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Difference is like oranges to apples, some people prefer one, some people prefer another. I prefer my (non prescott) P4s, im only refusing to upgrade cause i like my skt 478 3.2C so much.

Compared to a 3000+ AMD setup, youd probably not see any difference unless you obses over benchmarks.

5. Jack

Jack Minimodder

Even if i do get a good overclock form the P4?

TBH the 2.2/3Ghz mark is the highest i can get the A64

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

To be honest, imo, unless you obsess over the numbers you wont tell that there's that much diff between a 3ghz and 3.5ghz. I mean, there will be, but in stuff like games your XT PE will vapourise most of the diff and in work apps the memory bandwidth of a P4 will help, but you'll be dependent on other stuff like harddisk speed. It's why i dont OC anymore really. I like P4s cause HT makes them nice and smooth, i use an A64 setup now and it's not as nice in multitasking, net and office apps which i use mostly, but A64s "feel" faster in games (unless im using a 3.4EE :D). Swings and round-abouts within a pinch of salt either way. P4s are good if you want to use all 4 memory slots too, A64s dont like it/dont support it very well.