P5W64 Beep codes

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ping2low, 10 Oct 2006.

1. ping2low

ping2low What's a Dremel?

I managed to come across multiple types of DDR2 EEC memory and thought i'd give it a try while i'm waiting on my memory from newegg...

I keep getting

One long beep followed by two short beeps .... over and over.nothing else...no video :wallbash:

everywhere (95%) i looked on the information superhighway kept pointing to the video card...which i was 95% sure it was working fine...so i ended up calling ASUS tech support because the manual didn't have but three beep codes:
    One beep = keyboard controller error, refresh time error, or no master drive detected
    Two continuous beeps followed by two short beeps = floppy controller error
    Two continuous beeps followed by four short beeps = Hardware component failure.
    Soon as the tech heard the beep code...
    One continuous beep followed by two short beeps = incompatible memory :sigh:

i'll know for sure tomorrow when i finally get my two GB of corsair xms2 6400 :rock: but perhaps this can prevent someone from having to wait on hold for 15 minutes listening to the same advertisments to only find out their memory aint supported... :yawn:

2. Warrioradmin

Warrioradmin What's a Dremel?

RAM

Hi,

Well for future reference your board has to support EEC ram, and anyway its real purpose is for servers cause of its error correcting capability. EEC ram uses parity where as conventional ram doesn't so you performance gets sacraficed for stability.

3. ping2low

ping2low What's a Dremel?

thanks for the reference...however, the mobo does support ECC and most true workstations do support it, its not just for servers anymore :baby:

too bad it doesn't have the performance my last system had, but we're gettin there
    after dropping in the new memory, it fired right up. in a matter of a couple of hours (between BF2 rounds), i've managed to casually overclock to 2.5GHz

[​IMG]

these motherboards sure are picky about their memory. :blah:

Last edited: 12 Oct 2006
  4. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Not neccessarilly. The ECC memory may have just been pushed too hard by the board having the SPD settings off of auto, still it should have booted at a safe level. Try setting the latencies and voltages by hand.