1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking P8p67 - Overclocking failed on start up

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by niro, 15 Feb 2011.

1. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

P8p67 with i5-2500k

Every time I boot up my new build i get an "overclocking failed - press F1 to enter bios", so i enter bios and all I do is exit and it starts up fine. And this only occurs after I shutdown, if i do a restart theres no problem.

It only started after I used the auto tuning feature in the AI suite, which did absolutely nothing anyway (said overclocking success yet cpu is still at 3.3ghz). I had previously slightly overclocked my cyclone gtx 460 1gb graphics card and that seemed to have no problem.

I have read online that it usually is a RAM issue i.e. the RAM is not made for sandybridge, but I bought my G.skill RAM because it was specifically made for sandybridge builds.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? Or how to revert the changes of the auto tuning even though it looked like it hasnt done anything?

THANKS!!!

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

3. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

As Bindi has said, the ASUS software is best avoided.

I tried using it for a quick setup on my RIIIG the other week, put the cpu up to 3.2 for a couple of days, rebooted and overclocking failed. Just pressed f1, then f10, save and exit and it was at 3.2 again.

unsure how the bios works on your specific board, but mine was offering me clockspeeds of other chips.

4. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

thanks for the quick replies guys.

Ai I did some reading today and realised my mistake of using that damned auto tuner, just i've never overclocked CPU before so thought it would quick and painless, but i was wrong :blush:

I've got a 212+ cpu cooler, also have antec 900 case so have 4 fans running, and XFX 650w single rail PSU. I believe after reboot cpu temp is at a cool 28 degrees celsius.

I'll try that Matt, hopefully it will reset the values, and then I shall uninstall AI suite and follow the guide which I should have done in first place

5. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Bizarrely, I have the same problem!

I am using a 2500K with an ASUS P8P67 Pro witha BIOS from November 2011. I follow the CPC overclocking guide from this months mag, and although the options change nicely in the EFI, it seems to take no effect whatsoever! And I encounter the same problem with starting up from full shut down i.e. a message saying overclocking failed...

Any ideas anyone, or should I try and update to a newer BIOS? IS there a newer BIOS that I should use does anyone know?

6. alph4a

alph4a What's a Dremel?

I had the same problem with my system, 2500K with ASUS P8P67 PRO, was because i had set the ram above 1333 mhz. (XMS3 1600 MHZ)
    I Updated the bios to the latest, think its 1003, then cleared the cmos via the jumper.
    Sorted my problem, was scratching my head when mine was saying overclock failed even when it was not overclocked.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes! yesyesyes! Do it now!

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=HMMvTCuBcZLfu2YL&templete=2

BIOS 1204 now. Nov 2010 is ooooooooooold, you'll get several nice changes in the latest one :thumb:

alph4a - Did you have enough voltage and/or try XMP? It's saying overclock failed because JEDEC standard is 1333MHz. Something is not set right in the BIOS so during its 'memory training' tests and it cannot run at 1600.

greypilgers likes this.
  8. alph4a

alph4a What's a Dremel?

The voltage was 1.65 v @ 1600 mhz. The system would not cold boot, overclock failed went into BIOS & booted from there the RAM was running @ 1600 mhz. If the RAM was set @ 1333 mhz it cold booted fine.
    After updating BIOS I now have the RAM @ 1600 mhz, voltage @ 1.50 & it cold boots fine now. So I put it down to the BIOS update.

9. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

forgot to come back to this thread, i reset the bios and it was all fine. Haven't tried to OC again though, as have had couple busy weekends and dont feel like spending what little free time I have sorting out a problem should overclocking fail.

Also quick question, I have installed windows 7 and set up everything how I want it, will updating BIOS or overclocking now affect any of that (i.e. will i lose data, etc)?

10. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No, not at all :)