Motherboards p8p67 rev 3.0 bios problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OversizeZantos, 30 May 2012.

1. OversizeZantos

OversizeZantos What's a Dremel?

Hi all, I updated my bios to the newest 3207 version using the ai update utility (and the bios utility as you have to do it twice), and cleared my cmos after as per instructions, and now when my pc boots, it goes straight to the american megatrends screen, and the only way i can boot to windows is to manually select it in the bios and let it take it from there.

As you can imagine its very very annoying, and my google-fu has failed me searching for a solution. any ideas?

Edit...should add my rig is completely stable at my usual oc settings, just past 10 runs of ibt on extreme and 4hrs of prime95 just to check its working, its just the boot issue

Last edited: 30 May 2012
  2. Jackypoos

Jackypoos Will it blend?

Have you set the boot order in the BIOS? It may be that it's being a bit derpy and not looking for the hard disks.

I don't think I had any issues like that after I updated mine though.

3. OversizeZantos

Yeah thats what i thought, but i only have one bootable drive, so its the only item in my boot order list. Have left it unplugged from the psu power rails inside the case while im at work tonight and going to try it later, and failing that a quick double email to both scan and asus see if theyve got any ideas. Am really hoping its not a faulty bios chip as i really cant be arsed to rma anything right now, am jn the middle of a rmabo playthrough of deus ex hr for christs sake :)

4. Jackypoos

Jackypoos Will it blend?

Another suggestion I just thought of; plug it into the Intel SATA port, then disable the Marvell controller. From the site: "2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray"

Try it on all the ports and see what happens ^^

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Check the USB stuff too, as it may be trying to boot to that.

6. OversizeZantos

Cheers for the reply guys. Well ive just got in from work and leaving it unplugged from the psu rails didnt have an effect.

My ssd is on the intel controller, and disabling the marvel didnt work (and not an option, got 4tb of videos sat on drives on that controller). And got no usb devices plugged in atm.

Ohhhh its a headscratcher. Normally i like a challenge, but goddamn its annoying.

Going to dissassemble it tonight and rebuild with only the essentials (4gb ram, vid card and ssd) and see what the score is while i wait for a reply from asus support.

Deus ex and the entire collection of yes minister will have to wait i think :wallbash:

7. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

This is very strange i update my bios weeks ago via ezflash in bios direct from my 2nd hdd and had no issues.....

8. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Will add that i didn't update to the same version bios as you have. Support for Ivybridge......hmm i wonder if i updated would it make overclocking better? Will have to do some research.

9. OversizeZantos

thats the way i normally do it using ezflash, and had no problems. am in danger from going bald with this one.

my main concern really is that its a symptom of a deeper problem which will break something expensive (as am pretty sure if it fries my proc the mb warrenty wont cover it), if its not, tbh is a simple matter to launch my hdd from the bios.

rebuilding didnt work btw. aaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

oh and dom, cant answer as to better ocs as my flat is 10deg hotter than outside in this little heatwave up here so keeping it at stock until it cools down or my landlord gets of his lazy arse and gets to the bottom as to why my flat is so hot. though network throughput has increased with large file copies by about 10% (which is a nice bonus over the 20% my tasty new asus router added to the mix).

I only updated as im building a friends pc in the next 2 weeks with an ivy bridge chip, and wanted the option of dropping it in mine just incase. the git

10. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I checked Asus VIP Forum and there has been some issues with the bios update. One person has stated he is having issues after updating. I am leaving the update for the moment.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Roll back! Sometimes there are problems with the 32xx and Sandy Bridge CPUs. In fact, uninstall AI Update. If things work - leave them :p

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Jun 2012
  12. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

If Bindi says roll back id roll back!! Ignoring latest bios entirely thanks Bindi guys:)

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Only if you have SB CPU ;)

14. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

15. OversizeZantos

Fixed!!! Dont know why it helped considering all the other things i tried but replaced the battery on the motherboard and everythings ticketyboo, nice and stable and ready for another run at ocing when the temps in my flat drop a little.

It may be a placebo effect, and something i cant measure as i dont have precise times pre update, but it does feel like its booting faster now too :clap:

16. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

It may seem quicker if its ignoring marvell controller. I disabled mine as i am bot using it and the screen i get saying no drive detected no longer appears.