Planning Paint type and light replacement

Discussion in 'Modding' started by caggles, 13 May 2009.

1. caggles

caggles What's a Dremel?

Hey everyone :)

I've never done any modding before but I'm very interested in trying. I'm ordering a pretty standard looking black case for my new build and I'm interested in painting the outside as well as changing the lights on the fans.

Question 1: what kind of paint do you recommend?

Question 2: how do I change the lights? Am I just going to have to go out and buy new fans with the right coloured lights in them?

Thanks in advance :)

Caggles

2. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

To answer your second question, it would definately be easier to just get new fans. However if you're up for the challenge, or just because you're happy with the dB:CFM ratios of them or something, then it should just be a case of pushing the old LEDs out of the frame of the fan, which are usually hot glued into place, and wiring in new ones. I may be wrong, but the necessary resistors for the lights will be in the fan hub, so it should be a straight swap, just as long as you get the polarity right and you make sure you get the right kind of LED (they mostly use 5mm diodes, but I'm not sure on any other specifics).

3. caggles

caggles What's a Dremel?

Awesome! I'm glad the light replacement looks to be so easy. I get to have pink LEDs after all!! ^_^

4. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

As for painting it all depends on the material and surface finish of it. The most simple scenario is sanding the whole lot down, priming it and just using standard sparypaints. However you could use car airbrushing.

A different finish you might consider is powdercoating; while strictly not painting it has a very high quality durable finish.

5. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

The former though you can do yourself relatively cheap. Just make sure you put a lot of time and effort into it or it will show. Also if you're after pink LED fans, then it's probably easier to do it yourself. I've been on quite a few modding supply sites and I've never seen pink lit fans. I'll be interested to see how this comes out.