1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Parralel to serial then back again

Discussion in 'Modding' started by dfhaii, 15 May 2003.

1. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

i would like to make the data from my parrelel port into a serial stream then back again, is it encoders and decoders which i need to do this and would any1 be able to suggest suitable ics?

Cheers
    Col

2. Guest-2808

Guest-2808 Guest

The problem here is that there is no standard way of communicating on the parallel port. It's not like data is clocked off in any standard way or anything. Maybe if you just wanted to support certain kinds of printer you might be okay, but basically you are going problems.

My advice would be to look at either some kind of parallel-in serial-out shift register, or perhaps a microcontroller like a PIC or better still Atmel. You need to sample the data and control lines very fast, and continually transmit their status via the serial line. When I say fast, I mean really fast, like at least one mega-sample per second. Assuming thats 13 bits per sample, you are looking at a 15Mb serial line after including some basic control codes, and that's one way only.

You can get serial line trancievers, but basically what you need to do is use voltage differentials to determine the signal rather than simple levels, if you want to be resistant to noise over any distance.

It's a tricky one, but possible.

Just one more though, another idea would be to make a custom ISA or PCI card with a parallel port on it. You can also get USB parallel ports but they typically tend to be only for parallel printers.

MoJo

3. eaterofpies

eaterofpies New Member

it really does depend on what you want to use it for

4. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

wanna make a wireless lcd, i guessed i wantedit in serial so there is only one dataline to transmit.

Col

5. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Not my area of expertese, but couldn't couldn't you use a 8 bit encoded/decoder for your project?

I think that UARTs are what you want to be looking at ;)

6. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

Why not just get a serial LCD?

7. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

do serial lcds only use one data line? could it be done with a parrelel one?

Cheers
    Col

8. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

Yes, serial ones are only one data line. The best way I see doing this with a Parallel LCD would be to get a serial backpack for it, thus turning it into a Serial LCD.

9. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

would it be cheeper to fo that or buy a serial lcd?

also with a serial does it just use 3 wires +5v ground an data?

Col

10. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

It is pretty cheap to do it that way. I love my Matrix Orbital display though.

You only need those 3 lines for one way serial communication (ie LCD's), 4 for 2 way.

11. Guest-2808

Guest-2808 Guest

Three wires will give you bi-directectional RS232 serial, which is enough for most LCDs. Some draw power from the serial port too, but if you are going wireless I assume you are using batteries or something so that's not an issue.

You can get wireless RS232 traceivers. Another option would be to use a microcontroller (Atmel, PIC) at either end to convert RS232 to clocked serial, transmit it, and then convert back to RS232. Just take a look around for what RF chips are available and what they can do.

Actually, I seem to remember that you used to be able to buy a wireless RS232 link for computers. You can certainly get IR ones, I don't know about RF.

MoJo

12. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

13. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

zap i have found a similar chip in the uk, i was wondering what software you used to control your lcd when you were using it? also do they behave ok at 2400 baud as that would make transmitters and recievers a lot cheeper?

Cheers
    Col

(ps do u need 2 one at the pc end and one at the lcd end?)

14. RTT

RTT #parp

15. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

That chip works at either 2400 or 9600 baud