1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Pascal and Polaris Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 25 Aug 2015.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah they said that at the bottom. Not what it said at the top.

The product is expected to launch August two and will only available from selected system builders.

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Is buying direct from a company really such a bad thing? If Nvidia can do this they gain more of the profits. Its a Similar Model to Apple and Microsoft.

3. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Pascal and polaris have been interesting so far. I want to see the high end amd stuff now to make a decision.

By interesting I mean that AMD and Nvidia have had their fair share of problems. DPC latency and VR issues for Nvidia, & power draw for AMD.

Along with perf increases, it's been at least more fruitful than normal, discounting GTX970 4gb issues last gen.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Vega was predicted for late Q1 early Q2 of 2017 so that's early Feb to late April of next year. SK Hynix is not even expected to begin shipping of HBM2 till early September. 3-6 months of testing and you get the predicted launch dates that have been mensioned.

I'd expect Nvidia to have a free run at high end sales till at least after Christmas, we could even see a TI card before Vega. If that's the case are we even talking about the same product cycle anymore.

Even in a February launch its 8 months behind Nvidia for high end cards.

5. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Will they not just wait till AMD releases their own high end for TI? Other than getting a Titan out I can't see the point until they can rub AMD's nose in it a little more.

6. Vault-Tec

It's fine with me, never said I have a problem with it. If anything I like the way Nvidia design their packing and boxes ETC so if I were buying I would consider buying from them any way.

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

8. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Has anyone ordered an EVGA 1070 from amazon and actually received theirs? I ordered mine on the 5th July and I'm still getting the same canned response about no due date yet.

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

An update from Anandtech clarifies this: GP102 has the same FP16 and FP64 ratios as GP104, so no extra DP cores or vec2-capable SP cores. Extra die area seems to be due to boosted INT8 performance.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Could as well be bigger caches to supplement memory performance.

11. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Pascal Quadros unveiled, x6000 card is GP102-based. Looks like GP100 really is going to be confined to HPC for the moment.

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

13. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

because its the real pascal chip - what we have now is Maxwell with a new front end. that's it

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

How many pages ago did I write gp100 was hpc only? ;)

15. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

And Polaris is GCN with new uncore. Big surprise, chip companies iterate architectures incrementally because development costs are expensive and backward compatibility in terms of architectural similarity is advantageous. Forcing everyone to change how they write code to take advantage of your Shiny New System Architecture generally ends up with nobody bothering and your architecture going to waste if the difference is too radical. See: Itanium, HSA (great for HPC, dead on the desktop/laptop), early GCN (Async shaders lying fallow due to nothing to use them), Project Denver, etc.

::EDIT:: Completely missed in the Quadro announcement that the GP102-based P6000 is using 3840 cores, rather than the Titan X's 3584. Could be the 'full' core count of GP102. Lets hope that a '1080Ti' uses the fully unlocked core once yields increase.

Last edited: 26 Jul 2016
  16. Vault-Tec

Am I the only one thinking that the Pascal Titan X exists only because of this other card TTY they're making (the new workstation card with no DP) because it saves putting failed cores in the bin?

I dunno man. Just doesn't feel like a proper Titan release. Kinda like the Titan Black.

17. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The original Titan did not use a fully unlocked core either. 16FF+ is a new process for such large cores. As yields improve, the need for die-harvesting will decrease and the volumes of non-binned dies will increase. Same with every process scaling previously.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Pretty much, but then the 1070 is just recycled 1080s. It happens every generation.
    Still a fast Titan, but not like we'll ever be able to own one.

19. Vault-Tec

Yeah price is terrible.

20. rollo

rollo Modder

You will be surprised how many will end up getting brought especially on sites like this. Plenty of Titans even on this forum.