1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling passively cool an athlon 3500+ s939

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by notatoad, 13 Feb 2008.

1. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

what's the cheapest option to passively cool an athlon64 3500+ in a p180? i can underclock it, but can't undervolt it. my thermalright xp-120 isn't enough, it overheats in about 4hrs of running.

and if i move my xp-120 to replace the stock heatsink on my e4300, what's the best 120mm fan to stick on that?

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

My X2 4200 was passive and now my E2180 OC'd is just aswell. I use a Scythe Ninja rev.2 just make sure theres a case fan near it.

3. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i've got a yate loon 120mm @5v right behind it. i could probably up that to 7v. i'd just hate to spend the money on a big cooler and find it won't work. it's just a fileserver.

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Wonder how the 3500+ heats up so much... I used a Thermaltake Sonic Tower (possibly the best product TT had ever come up with) on my 3000+ and it ran passively just fine. Hard to believe that the difference of 500+ would make more powerful cooler not enough... Maybe XP-120 simply doesn't work passively.

How about a Ninja? After all it's pretty much designed to be used in P180.

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I doubt that you would be able to run it truly passively without a truly gargantuan heatsink. I've got a HTPC running truly passively, ie with no fans in the box at all, and that gets warm under load despite being a Dothan CPU (using a Ninja mini)

Running it using airflow from a case fan directly behind it is another matter entirely, and shouldn't really be a problem. I've run a 3.4GHz P4E this way with a Ninja, and thats a particularly toasty processor. Just because the fan isn't mounted directly to the heatsink doesn't mean its passive.

A heatsink with a dense fin layout would struggle with indirect airflow, something like a ninja would be just the ticket.

6. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

I run my parents computer with a 3500+ with a thermal right HR-01 without a fan on the heatsink, just the psu and rear exhaust are enough.

Tags: