1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC failing to boot.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by AngelOfRage, 21 Dec 2007.

1. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

Wondering if anybody can offer some advice...

Recently bought a new CPU (Q6600), RAM (2x 1GB DDR2 6400) and Motherboard (ASUS P5KPL-VM). After putting it all in my case carefully, when i turn it on, the fans come on, the disks spin up, but nothing comes to the display, the monitor doesn't pick anything up (tried both onboard GFX and the GFX card).

I then took out 1 stick of RAM and tried again, it booted to BIOS fine although told me it couldn't detect a IDE drive set to master. I booted from my Windows CD and it started loading all the information at the very start, before blue screening.

After some more testing, it would boot to BIOS/Windows CD if either stick of ram is in the "A" slot on the MB, if both or either are in the "B" slot, it powers up, but nothing shows on the display. No errors, no beeping, no shutting itself down.

Now if i do boot it with 1 stick of RAM using the Windows CD it starts it's checking and loading it's bits and bobs, then just blue screens.

A friend seems to think it might be the motherboard at fault, but before i go and send it back (bought from Aria.co.uk) i thought i'd get a second opinion as i'm guessing returning anything over the Christmas period is going to be a pain.

Thanks in advance.

2. warlord2000ad

warlord2000ad The 20 Year Old Guy

I had issues with Windows on a new mobo i once had. Probably not the same issue, but check plug and play OS (operating system) is enabled in the bios if it is an available option.

3. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

I'd say motherboard too, have you managed to get it to detect a hard drive yet? sounds like a knackered controller to me.

RwD

4. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

It detected my 250GB Sata drive in the post screen, but unless the Windows CD is in, it just says something along the lines of "Unable to detect IDE drive set to master".
    I checked the HDD, but it says Sata doesn't need to be set as master/slave. I'm hoping it's just the motherboard

I've got a returns number from Aria, so i'm going to send it back and see what they say.