1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC freezing ever since new graphics card, sorta...

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ancient, 5 Jun 2006.

1. ancient

ancient What's a Dremel?

Well I got a Geforce 7800 GS, 650W PSU, and an extra 512 MB of ram to run Oblivion, since my 5200FX wasn't cutting it, and needed the extra juice for the 7800. Anyway, Oblivion froze, in a manner of freezing I never seen before. It cut the video signal and sound, the monitor light went from green to orange, yet the PC still seemed to be running fine. However, I wasn't able to do anything since I couldn't see anything, so I had to hard reset the PC. I was running with 84.21 drivers. I upgraded to some beta drivers of 84.40 and now Oblivion runs no problems, I played 10 hours in a row one day and it ran fine, no problems, and no freezing. My other games are now having this issue though (Sims 2, VTM: Bloodlines, Doom 3, Civilization 4, etc.) where after playing for a while, they freeze in the exact same manner as above.

Everywhere I read suggested the PC is overheating but the fans are running great on everything (checked with case off) and I cleaned out all the dust from the case. Somebody told me that I needed to upgrade drivers, bios and firmware, and I have, but I haven't run any games since I did, so I dunno if it fixes the problem or not, haven't really had time to run games recently but will soon. Anything else I should make sure to do before resuming gaming? Anybody else know of solutions to this kind of problem? And on a related note, if it is overheating, will a PCI Slot Fan placed next to the graphics card be a good idea or what?

My specs (Compaq Presario s6500nx, the ram, graphics card, psu are the only upgrades made):

Athlon 3000 processor
    1 GB 300mhz DDR ram
    E-Vga Geforce 7800 GS (no PCI-E :( )
    650W power supply
    Realtek AC 97 audio (integrated)
    160GB Seagate 7200RPM HDD
    VIA KM400 integrated graphics chipset (not used, but should I get the latest driver for this too, even though I'm using the 7800?)
    HP DVD-RW 300i
    Asus 48x CD-Rom
    Integrated 10/100 Lan
    56k Winmodem (generic)