Windows PC - Halo & NVidia 5500

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by sinizterguy, 15 Jan 2005.

1. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

I have a friend who has a PC with 3.6GHz P4, 1024 mb PC3200 memory and Nvidia 5500 gfx.

When playing Halo even at the lowest res with the settings on high the performance is utter crap. With all the setting at low, the performance is almost OK.

Is this normal ? Or is there something else I am missing ?

I didnt build the system for him, and I dont game either, so I dont know the performance with different graphics cards .... So it would be great if someone could help me out.

He would like to game with all settings at high at the native res of 1280x1024 on his LG1720B monitor.

2. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

His specs are higher than mine, and I can play Halo on the highest settings, make sure that the game is up-to-date with the patches. If you are playing it online, playing on the highest settings creates lag, even on broadband, I have to reduce my settings to medium whilst online.

Also update graphics drivers etc. Spyware/virues not slowing anything down?

3. Hobnob

Hobnob What's a Dremel?

I'm afraid it is normal :( I had the same problem with my FX5200.

4. sinizterguy

No online gaming. I'll get the latest patches ... but I dont think they will make a difference really.

But what res are you gaming at ?

No Spyware or anything. The WinXP install is literally 24 hours old and I have run Adaware scans.

There is folding@home running in the background, but in my experience, it has no effect on games etc.

Last edited: 15 Jan 2005
  5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

hmm, have you forced DX8 in the game?

6. sinizterguy

No idea, how do i do that ?

7. Mister_Tad

pop a command line argument onto the shortcut

try -use14 or -use11, if youre still not happy, -useff drops it down to DX7

8. Vap0K177@r-22.C

Vap0K177@r-22.C What's a Dremel?

that WILL and does have an effect on performace if you try and game with it running especially with such a cruddy gcard

9. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

No it won't because folding will cease/reduce work if demand for the CPU from other applications increases. Look at my specs below, I also have a 'cruddy' FX5200 -it playes doom on high quality on some levels...

I play Halo on full at the screens native resolution of 1280x1024. AND I run Folding@Home!

10. dead_man

dead_man Confucious say: WTF???

^^^
    same, i actually saw a fps increase of 20 on a mx440 running it in the background. mayb heat is an issue, all the 3.6ghz iv seen seem to expel alot of heat

11. fantastic dan

fantastic dan Minimodder

I think Willy wonka is just lucky, or we have different opinions on what is acceptable. Personally unless i am getting more than 40 fps solid then the game is unacceptable, and i know that halo doesn't like to give high fps to any computer, never mind a mid to low range graphics card.

I'm affraid you will struggle to get good detail levels with that card that are still playable.

12. sinizterguy

I have all the settings on high (except for 2 that are disabled for some reason) and a res of 1024x768 running perfectly smoothly ...

The specs are

Asus PC-DL
    Dual Xeon 2.4 @ 2.8
    1.5 GB PC3200
    ATI Radeon 7500
    USB CD-RW Drive
    180GB WD HDD
    Logitech Desktop MX

Now why is that ? The 7500 must be even worse than the GeForce 5500 right ? Yet the gaming is fluid and responsive.

The other system is
    P4 3.6 GHz
    Asrock P4 Combo mobo
    1GB PC3200 Corsair
    200GB HDD
    Geforce 5500
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW Drive
    USB Wireless Logitech Combo

This has me stumped as the PCDL system is running on older drivers, WinXP SP1 (no other updates), worse card, worse optical drive, slower CPU (considering Halo will only use one cpu) and still performs a hell of a lot better ?

13. Mister_Tad

the problem is (i believe)
    the 7500 is a DX7 card, that means its not trying to do anything fancy-schmancy, same as if you ran halo with the -useff argument. Halo detects this and dumbs-down the game somewhat, leaving out all the DX8 and DX9 effects

now the 5500 is a DX9 card, so while it may perform better than the 7500 in the same circumstances with the same load, halo is giving it a buttload more to do than in the case of the 7500 because it is capable (technically) of doing things like mirrored-bumped surfaces and all that jazz

Tags: