1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC not booting anymore

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Devil_H@ck, 4 Jun 2004.

1. Devil_H@ck

Devil_H@ck What's a Dremel?

Hi,

When I came home today my step-sister told me that my pc wouldn't start anymore. She had been browsing the web a bit and then had left it on. About 3 hours later she heard a small 'pop' noise and the pc shut itself down. All that time no one had touched the PC.

At first I thought it was a capacitator that had exploded inside the power supply, so I took it out and tested it. Well, it worked just fine, so I put it back in.

When I press the power button, I can see the power supply start spinning for about 0.5 seconds and then it just shuts down and nothing happens anymore. I can press the power button as much as I want to, just nothing happens. When I remove the power chord and then plug it back in, it starts all over again: 0.5 seconds fan on, then everything shuts down again.

Does anybody has any idea what could be causing this? The pc was working just fine, well, except for one blue screen saying something about an error in the registry, but that can't have anything to do with it, since the pc now can't even get to the POST sequence.

Help! :sigh:

2. olv

olv he's so bright

tried clearing cmos? couldn't be any component so try swapping out the gfx and ram, take out all none essential pci cards.

What are the specs? If its not even posting then it may be the motherboard.

3. nohope4me

nohope4me What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I've encountered this before. Two things to try:

1) Check every power conenctor for a short. There is probably one. Find it and remove it. Unplug power cord for about 10-15 secs, allowing the auto-breaker to reset itself, then replace the cord and try poewring on.

2) There are many other possible causes though, such as a device drawing too much current. Do the old trick of trial-and error if you can, removing as many devices as you can, leaving just the mobo, CPU, heatsink, PSU, grahics card in then seingif it works, then add hdd, test, cd drive, test, sound card, test etc until you find a faulty compenent. Fix or replace.