1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware PC Power & Cooling CTO talks shop

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 May 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Very interesting. I never thought about the dissapearance of the 5v and the like before...

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I can not help but wonder how much the modularity REALLY hurts the performance... It's easy to say how it in theory adds resistance and bla bla bla, but can it be measured, let alone noticed in real life?

4. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

Looking at my Antec TP Quatro 850, the connectors for the modularity are the same as the connector design for the graphics card PCI-E, and the 4/8pin 12V input for the motherboard. So is there a point in using better (higher contact area) connectors at the PSU end of the cable if at the motherboard/PCI-E they have the old, pressumably higher resistance, design?

Well probably, as the resistance adds up in series cutting it at any point in the 'loop' helps. Kinda answered my own question.

5. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Changing to 12v is an interesting idea, though I fail to see why it would be such a huge leap. There can be a time where motherboards you buy don't need the extra voltages, and where both types of PSU are sold; then there will be a gradual shift to just 12v motherboards. Rather like the change to DDR3 really.

With the problems of modularisation, I should think that Apple had a few problems with that and the power connectors on the MB/MBP. Its not like they have much surface area!

Anyway, I enjoyed that, it was a good read, thanks :)

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

"never even heard of Ultra" - My ass.

Interesting interview - nice to hear from a more "obscure" HW manufacturer about their thoughts on their own sector and its current directions.

7. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Hm.. I'm quite interested in their modular power supply, to see if it really makes a difference in real-world performance.

8. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

100A @ 12VDC? You could weld with that thing!

Does he come off as a twit IRL?

9. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

yeah, if you wanted to toast the PSU. switching PSUs are not designed to take heavy load spikes like that.

10. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

easy to show using ohms law, even a few fractions of an ohmn is enough to cause major voltage drop at high currents like 100A!
    as for ultra I think he was saying that back when they rejected modular psu's they had not heard of ultra, anyway I rember modular psus for computers before ultra and modular psu's for non computers have been around for a long long time.

11. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

I'm pretty sure a pretty one of the large review sites tested this 2-3 years ago, showed no difference as far as I remember....sorry I mean the difference between modular and non.

One thing I dont understand though is that everyone is going modular, and for good reason so why the hell dont they do it. We all know how rock solid PCP&C are, so a modular unit would re-establish their position in the market. With so many competitors now producing better quality unit's they are reducing their chances of success. They are no longer in the position they were 3-4 years ago and need to get back in the game.

Can remember the last time I saw a rig using a PCP&C PSU...Last I heard...literally was that they made a little too much noise.

12. Zyphron

Zyphron What's a Dremel?

first off they are still the best. its been proven time and time again.

Can remember the last time I saw a rig using a PCP&C PSU...Last I heard...literally was that they made a little too much noise
    is this in reference to all PCP&C PSU's?
    you might want to go find yourself a Silencer 750 im pretty sure it runs quiet if not "silent"

they have very valid Justifaction to not go modular, and as much as id love for them to move to modular I can deal with cable managment.

13. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

im using one now

14. unclebulgaria

unclebulgaria What's a Dremel?

Single line answers? Could the man have cared less?

15. tonschk

tonschk Minimodder

Professionals dont use modular PSU , I avoid as much as I can modular PSU and I will never buy a modular PSU

[​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Jul 2009
  16. tonschk

tonschk Minimodder

I HATE Modular PSU and I will never ever buy a modular PSU , on the other side I LOVE PC Power and Cooling

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Jul 2009
Tags: Add Tags