1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pc wont boot win xp

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by lmeyer718, 20 May 2007.

1. lmeyer718

lmeyer718 What's a Dremel?

ok i have had this set up for 1.5 yrs now and it runs pretty well. i hope the parts list is in my sig if not will reply with rig parts list. Pc post gets almost to windows where blue bar scrolls across screen at xp screen. scrolls twice the pc keeps rebooting. i tried installing win xp on a new hd does same thing. took out all non essential parts. just barebones. hd,cpu,dvd drive,psu, gpu. all fans are connected n spinning . took off heatsink cleaned n reapplied thermal paste. blew all dust out of case. tried one stick of ram switched mem slots. dunno if its psu? dont think gpu would cause it. dont have have a rig to try psu in or try ram in. ok with main hd in pc just gets to win xp screen n reboots. i tried installing win xp on a external usb wd my hd but then i get lue screen of death.

Last edited: 20 May 2007
  2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Try to boot in safe mode, tap F5 or F8 on boot and one will get you a menu where you can select Safe Mode.

3. lmeyer718

i tried safe mode. posts all the stuff then reboots same way. im starting to think its the ram. i read alot of pepole saying ballistix is good but some do mess up. i need to get a copy of memstat

4. lmeyer718

if a psu was bad do u think i would be able to format a 500gb hd that took 2 hrs then reboot and almost get to windows. it seem to reboot at the exact same point. also can a gpu cause it? if so can i unplug gpu to see if pc reboots without actually having a monitor connected? what about mobo. i never liked that mobo. the mobo has a fan that sits under the pci-ex16 gpc. the gpu is right on top of it. also this rig is not overclocked at all. everything at stock. i havent oc this rig in awhile. was running fine.

5. lmeyer718

ran memstat86+ on one stick of ram and got 11 errors. now running it on both sticks. got most errors in test5,7. i tried a 512 mb stick pc 2700 n still got reboot. maybe hd got corrupted? i see the crucial has a lifetime warranty. does that mean if this ram has mega errors they will replace?

6. lmeyer718

man this mem appears to be messed up bad. both sticks in memstat get 70 + errors...

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Bad RAM then.

And PLEASE use the edit button

8. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

yep RMA the ram. 70 Errors wow that sucks!

9. krimson

krimson What's a Dremel?

its the ram.. almost positive.. i had a pc that i had for like 4 years run great, and then i formatted and reinstalled, and it would BSOD, reboot at the SAME spot every time during XP install.. tried EVERYTHING... finally, took all the ram out but one stick, and poof! it worked.

the ram even passed memtest, too!

10. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

RAM spontaneously gaining errors isn't unheard of, but I've heard that it could suggest either a problem with your motherboard, or maybe PSU - specifically the power regulation parts IIRC.